1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1984 Ibanez Roadstar rb850 purchase help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by facethebass, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Found this baby on Kijiji and I am really excited for it...pending playing and checking it over. Got it for 250 with hardcover case which I thought was a fair price. I am going to pick it up next week and will just be checking the electronics, finish, neck and knobs but I also want to check that the truss rod is fine too. Do you check truss rods before buying a used bass or is that overstepping the line of potential buyer? What size hex wrench is needed for that?

2. That might be my old bass... what colour is it?

3. Off white...in London On.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I believe it's 5mm on the Roadstars.

I would say it's somewhat uncommon to actually adjust the truss rod on a used bass as part of a pre-purchase inspection. If you want to ask the seller if you can remove the cover just to make sure the nut isn't stripped, I think that would be fine. But my guess is that the seller probably won't allow you to risk damaging the instrument prior to cash exchanging hands.

In my experience, the Roadstar necks are very stable. In fact, I haven't needed to make an adjustment on my '85 RB850 (purchased new) in at least five years, and it gets gigged regularly.

5. Thanks Garp-I thought it might be out of line but wasn't sure what constituted the equivalent of looking under the hood when buying a car and what was more like taking apart the engine. Thanks for the info on the neck-I feel pretty good about it now,

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Actually not really out of line. Given the age of the bass, it's a perfectly acceptable question to ask. I've bought some 80s basses and asked nicely if I could check the truss rod out and was able to. If that's not possible, perhaps just ask the seller if the truss rod isn't maxed out to his/her best knowledge. Older basses are risky, but also true that in some cases, the quality of the older basses exceed even that of current models. That being said, I do agree that older MIJ Ibanez necks seem to be pretty sturdy. Haven't run into problems as much as let's say the newer SR300 basses.