1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1986 Ibanez RB760 with hard case $250 SHIPPED

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tpaul, Jan 23, 2018.

1. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Price:
    $250
    Strings:
    PRICE DROP: NOW $250 SHIPPED USA

This is a 1986 Ibanez Roadstar II Deluxe Bass, model RB760 Made in Japan. This is the year they switched to lighter weight basses and introduced low-impedance pickups - this model has active low-impedance pickups in the traditional P/J configuration. Three knobs: pickup select, volume and tone. The finish color is what they advertised at the time as "silver." As you can see, it's more a greenish gold now on the body.

The bass has been well used - has dings and finish wear (see pics) including one good hit to the body near the controls. It's pretty well worn. The pics don't show every little ding and scuff due to the metallic paint. Frets are in great shape and it plays well. It appears to be all original except for the control knobs (three different ones). The strap buttons don't match but I think this is how this model shipped (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). Also, the paint has obviously been taken off the back of the neck. It's really smooth and easy to play now!

If you're interested in the details for this model, you can look it up in the catalog, here: Ibanez Rules 1986 US Catalog

$250 shipped (in continental USA) in an Ibanez hard case of the period (no idea whether it's the original case this thing came in or not). The case has stickers and paint on it but is solid.

s-l1600 (2). s-l1600 (3). s-l1600 (4). s-l1600 (5). s-l1600 (6). s-l1600 (7). s-l1600 (8). s-l1600 (10). s-l1600 (11). s-l1600.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    SuperTwin, SStLouis, Bodeeni and 4 others like this.
  2. Is the neck protected or just bare wood?

3. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I'll check when I get home. I believe any guitar with a solid finish would have a clear coat underneath but I'm not sure I would be able to tell if it is still there. The neck is very smooth, I can tell you that.

4. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    Birth year bass.. man I want it. When’s that tax man comin??

5. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Not till April... plenty of time...

6. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    So I looked at the neck and I can't tell for sure. It looks like the paint on the neck was very thin, whereas the body finish is much thicker. I don't see any real evidence that there's a clear coat remaining on the neck where the paint was removed.

Still for sale! :)

7. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Still here...

8. Tkeefe

Tkeefe

Jan 30, 2018
    Could you include a pic of the case?

9. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Sure, I'll post it in a day or two, out of town just now.

10. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Here's the case. The outside is rough, with stickers, painted words and dings and scrapes, but the inside is in good condition and all the latches work. It's solid.

tmp-cam-1783410235. tmp-cam-1826285000.

Tkeefe likes this.
  11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Still for sale...

12. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Price drop now $300 shipped, that includes the hard case!

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Trying to convince myself that my Ibanez collection is complete.

That 2+2 headstock is very nice paired with that body design. And P/J!

14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    It's a sexy beast, no doubt!

Standalone likes this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Final price drop, $290 shipped USA!

16. saeroner

saeroner

May 30, 2013
    I've got the RB690 that came out that year. Great bass. How much do you think they listed for back in '86 brand new? I've always wanted to do the inflation math

17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I don't know. You can find the '86 catalog online but I don't believe it lists prices.

18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Fire sale! $275 shipped w/ hard case (CONUS)

pudgychef likes this.
  19. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Still available...

20. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Really, every TB'er who is in the market to upgrade from their starter bass should absolutely be jumping on this. The mid eighties Ibanez gear will outclass anything I play on the walls at GC under 8 or 900 bucks