Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1986 Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Nov 2, 2003.

1. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569580872&category=4713

Now, what about this? I guess being made in 1986 makes it Japanese...or am I wrong? I have asked the seller for the serial number, but with no reply yet (but hey it is Sunday!) If so, I'm gonna try and buy this, and upgrade it with better pickups and the like.

Another question is that, what would be better, this bass (presuming it's MIJ) upgraded a bit, or spending the same money (or thereabouts) on a new Fender MIJ Jazz Bass from Ishibashi Music?

I only guess this is MIJ, because a lot of earlier Squire instruments seem to be. Thanks for anyone who can help me. :)

2. Not all Squires are MIJ.

I own one that was made in Korea.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's alittle blurry but it looks like it says "Made in Japan" under the "Squier" logo.

Also, it looks like the serial # starts with "E9xxxx" which would make this bass an '89.

IIRC, Fender closed it's doors from '83-'87 from the CBS to todays ownership.

Also, some early Squiers were made in the USA.

4. I thought the same thing Nino.

http://www.vintage-bass.com/Informations/Fender_Dating/fender_dating.html

http://www.rexc.com/services/datingfender.htm

Let us know what you find out from the owner Mr. Zebraface!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Thanks for your help Nino and Treena! So far, no luck...I emailed the seller and also I emailed Bill Bolton to ask him about it, but haven't got a reply yet.

Here's hoping...:)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A 1986 Squier would definitely be made in Japan, as would any 1986 Fender bass EXCEPT the Vintage Reissues which were still being MIA at that point.

Non MIJ Squiers didn't start till almost 1990.

7. Update: Bill got back to me, and stated as above, that at the time re-issues were MIA, but Squire's were MIJ until 1990 or so.

Okay, I think I'll put a bid in. Cheers!

8. Update 2: Apparently, the serial no. is S905708, which according to vintage bass.com, makes it a 1994 Model....and thus is made in Korea.

:confused: I'm so confused, and annoyed at the same time....ah well.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Usually S9xxxx would indicate it being a 1979. The S is for the decade: seventy & the 1st # is the year if the decase: 9

S9xxxx 1979
    E9xxxx 1989
    N9xxxx 1999
    Z9xxxx 2009

I'm pretty sure Squier used this daing in the "Early" days.

10. "The Squier Jazz Bass was made in korea.
    Serial no. S905708."

This is the email he sent me. So now I have him saying it is Korean, and other people saying it's MIJ....and it's either 1979, 1986 or 1994.... oh the confusion.

11. The Squire made by Fender, in Korea, will have, made in Korea on the head stock.

Also, it's worth about $300.00 US dollars.

So go for it, if you like it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Any one Who knows where and when a Squire P-bass with
    nr SQ12880 is built?

It has "made in Japan" under the loggo, but can I trust that