Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1987-1988 MIJ fender what is the body made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hi, theres a fender MIJ fender im thinking of getting, the serial # is G020805. online i searched and found that its made in 1987-1988, but the question is can anyone tell me or help me find out what material the body is made of. i heard that MIJ basses were made to export and were often made of basswood, and the CIJ and made for domestic sales and are made of alder. now i really am not interested in buying it if its made of basswood, and the seller is unsure of what it is made of. any help would be much appreciated.

-thanks.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...are you freakin' serious? Because it's basswood, you're not interested? That's ridiculous. Have you ever PLAYED an instrument made from basswood -- maybe the MusicMan Bongo, for instance? This basswood snobbery is tired, but if nothing else, at least I've never heard this one before.

That said, the CIJ instruments had excellent quality control (relative to their US cousins) and if it feels right and gets a good sound, go for it. CIJ fretlesses were also the only unlined Fender fretlesses -- neat, huh?

3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    MM has pretty substantial electronics that are complimented by the tonality of basswood. MM also uses particularly good quality basswood.

I own 2 Fender MIJ P-basses, a 1986 and a 1988. The 1986 was "real deal". There were no MIA Fender basses except for custom shop items during 1986. My 1986 bass is great. It is also made of alder.

My 1988 bass is made of basswood. It was hotter pickups that do no sound nearly as good. The tone is poor, as is the sustain.

Having owned the bass for 4 years now, my opinion is that the 1988 MIJ Fender products are not quality. Unless you are being offered this item for less than $200 and it is in MINT condition, I would not buy it.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ok, then Ibanez BTB's. They're known as great bargains for the price (the BTB406QM is sub $1000 CAD) and they're made of basswood. My point isn't that basswood is a tonewood worthy of a $12k Fodera, but it's most certainly not a reason to not buy a bass.

That said...I've never really heard much about Fenders from the 80's. Considering how much people love those <78 or 79 jazzes and whatnot, and the 90's/00's Fenders are still considered "new", both categories get a LOT of talk...but I never hear anything about the 80's ones. I dunno, to me, that doesn't say anything good about 80's Fenders.

5. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    okay well i dont need be be flamed for the comment about not wanting to get it if its basswood. i just prefer to get it if it were alder, its my choice isnt it? that being said i just wanted to know if you guys knew what the material the body is of the jazz bass is, because that would help me out. also its a MIJ not a CIJ jazz bass.

6. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    bump

7. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    bump. does anyone know?

8. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Have you played it? Do you like the way it sounds? If so, what does it matter? I had a late '80's MIJ P-Bass that I think was basswood and it sounded great. How did this basswood=crapwood get started anyway? To answer your question, I believe the MIJ standard Fender basses of that time were basswood.

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    someone is selling it over the internet. i might just try it out i guess its some store thats selling it and they have a return policy giving 48 hours to test out the bass.

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Don't poo poo basswood so fast....it has it's place in the tone pallet.
    You really need to play the particular bass. I have a 89 basswood MIJ and it's one of my favorite basses to record with....I also use it for live acoustic sets. It has a warm mellow sound that my other basses don't have. With TI flats on it...I can get close to a string bass tone from it.
    Granted..I have modified it to my specs :)

also...I don't think the MIJ/CIJ designation has anything to do with import/export models. If you want to be sure to get an alder body CIJ..you can order direct from Japan.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i got that information on a site about japanese fenders. it was when i was searching for a store where i could order MIJ/CIJ fenders.