1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

No longer available 1987 Fender Jazz Bass - JB-62 - MIJ - made in Japan

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by yaryaryaryar, May 27, 2018.

1. yaryaryaryar

yaryaryaryar Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is kind of a feeler post.... I really like this bass, but I've got my eye on something else, and could use the funds. You know how it goes.

It's a 1987(ish) Jazz bass, made in Japan, made to the '62 specs. It's all original, except the pickguard is a replacement (it came with a black one which was also probably not original, but it's yours if you want it), and the pickup covers have been added (I don't think the Japanese '62 reissues ever came with ashtray covers?). It feels and sounds awesome. It's got it's share of bumps and bruises (er... I mean... it's "naturally relic'd"). Please see the photos, as I've tried to show what I mean there. If you're looking for a spotless example of an 80s JB-62, move along. If you want a solid player that's been tried and tested and broken in, this is for you.

Please don't hesitate to message me with any questions. Like I said, I'm mainly looking to fund something else, but trade offers are always welcome. Specifically, I've got my eye out for a Nash JB-63, so if you have one of those to trade, it would obviously be plus cash on my end. Let me know! Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    The 80's era MIJ Fenders are generally great basses that rival any USA Fender.
    GLWTS

five7 likes this.
  3. is it a poly or nitro finish? This bass is beautiful...

4. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    That is a good question. I'm going to assume it's a poly finish. I think I've read before that the 80s MIJs were poly, but I don't know that for sure. Also, it's got a couple of chips in the finish, but not like the "worn" type spots that nitro would give. So it's just a (somewhat) educated guess. If I find out otherwise, I'll let you know.

5. If it's stock, it's poly. It's thick and will chip like that. I have a MIJ P from thst era that has aged in the same manner. Hope this helps.

Mine is one of the best basses I've ever owned. That era MIJ basses are some of the best kept secrets ever.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Gorgeous bass. How much does it weigh?

7. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    9.8 lbs on a bathroom scale. That's with the ashtrays on.

8. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    Agreed - these things are fantastic, and make great workhorses. That's why this one's obviously gotten a lot of use over the years. You're making me re-think letting her go.....

JGbassman likes this.
  9. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Need a similar era MIJ Fretless Jazz? Partial trade + cash from my end.

10. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    Interesting......... I'll shoot you a PM here in a minute.

11. Lumdingo

Lumdingo

Dec 8, 2012
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hire me to design your band's Merch.
  12. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    Lumdingo likes this.
  13. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    Alright. Changed my mind. This one's sticking around for a while longer, so it's marked as "no longer available". If anyone comes across this ad down the road, feel free to message me, as I may be willing to part with it eventually.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021