SOLD 1987 G&L L-1000 (L1K) - a unique "Wunkay" - natural ash/rosewood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Feb 18, 2024.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    It's Sunday and I'm being avoidant about studying for an industry exam that I take next month.

I don't really want to part with this bass but, given how much money we've spent recently at my house, it probably needs to go. I just acquired this super cool '87 L-1000 in a trade. And then promptly put about $250 into it which was probably ill-advised. When I got it, the upper strap lock was spinning. Investigation revealed that the screw head was mashed so I had my tech extract it and re-install the strap locks with better quality screws. My tech also installed a new toggle switch and did a full setup with new Ernie Ball 45-105 flatwound strings.

This "Wunkay" is a unique piece of history and I'm guessing it's a "transitional" bass that incorporates some things the older G&Ls had and some things the newer G&Ls have. From the "older" camp it has the 3-bolt neck plate as well as the black bridge. From the "newer" camp it has the "eye-gouger" headstock and rear-routed controls, so no front control plate. My guess is the late 80s were a transitional period for the L series of G&L basses.

As someone who generally dislikes wear and tear on instruments but is OK with honest mojo, I can genuinely say this L-1000 has just the right amount of mojo. The body has some wear and rash on the back, probably from a shirt or belt buckle. The frets have life left but it will need a re-fret at some point if you play aggressively with rounds. (I had flats put on it to preserve the frets as long as possible.) For now, the frets feel great. The guy I got it from had his tech look over it before I even took it to my tech and neither tech detected any neck problems, ski jump, or other issues that older G&L basses were prone to exhibiting. Neck finish is gloss though not a heavy gloss. I thought about "satin-izing" it but held off because I'd rather leave it as is if I'm going to part ways with it. Rosewood board has nice grain and has been freshly oiled. The hardware is in remarkably good shape. Black Dunlop strap pegs are installed and, like I said earlier, have been recently reinforced. Bullet style truss rod that sticks out quite a bit but I've read accounts from other G&L owners that this is normal and that G&L truss rods sometimes stick out, sometimes are recessed, kind of all over the map depending on the bass. Weight is somewhere between 8.6 and 9.0 lbs, give or take a few ounces.

I have new control knobs, direct from G&L, installed on the bass (see first pic), but have not updated all my pictures yet.

Case is a non-original SKB Freedom which is worn but in good shape and does its job.

I'd take (ANOTHER PRICE DROP) $1099 shipped lower 48 or best fair offer.

Trades are possible but I really need money right now. Trades + cash to me are preferable. For basses, I'm a G&L/Fender/Musicman guy mostly. I only play 4-string. No Jazz (1.5") necks. No three-tone sunburst anything but other bursts are potentially OK. A USA Fender Precision Deluxe from the late 90s/early 2000s would be top of the list for me (the kind with the soapbar humbucker at the bridge.) Fretless would be ok but only lined. Besides basses, a Barefaced cab (1x12 or 2x12) would be about the only other thing I'd consider. But you can try me with anything.

Pictures below!

l1k.png
    1k1.jpg 1k2.jpg 1k3.jpg 1k4.jpg 1k5.jpg 1k6.jpg 1k7.jpg 1k8.jpg 1k9.jpg 1k10.jpg 1k11.jpg 1k12.jpg 1k13.jpg 1k14.jpg 1k15.jpg 1k16.jpg 1k17.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    After field-testing this at rehearsal tonight, I think it better stay with me. At least for now. It sounds absolutely thunderous.

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Unfortunately, more expenses have reared their ugly heads. My wife is applying to the state bar (the lawyer kind, not the drinking kind) and she found some old unpaid medical debt that she needed to pay off immediately because they look at EVERYTHING in your past - it's been a terrible and humiliating process for her - and unfortunately an expensive one as well.

So this is back up for sale. Price lowered to $1249 shipped lower 48. Cash offers preferred but trades with cash in my direction are possible.

4. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    GLWTS.I just got a G&L SB1 in a trade otherwise I would take it,Tony

TimBosby likes this.
  5. lala

lala Gold Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2014
    A Beauty!

TimBosby likes this.
  6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Took a little break yesterday to pick up this bass and play (beauty of work-from-home.) Man is it phenomenal!! The feel and setup, range of tones, etc. I would love to keep this but I really need good old cash so please make me an offer before I lose my nerve and take the listing down again!

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Open to trades with a cash my way. A non-Jazz neck non-sunburst fretless (sorry, Jaco!) + cash would maybe get my attention.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    gvbassman likes this.
  8. Moogmelt

Moogmelt Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2022
    SoCal
    Another cool bass Tim! GLWTS!

TimBosby likes this.
  9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yet ANOTHER price drop! $1099 shipped lower 48 or best offer. Can't really go any lower because I'd be better off just keeping it otherwise.

Cash or trade, throw something my way. I'm out of town until Sunday night but can ship when I return home.

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Just sold on Reverb, where I forgot I had it listed, lol.

Moogmelt, ImTheOnlyOne and gvbassman like this.