Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1987 limited edition svtcl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chriso21, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    Dear all,

Sorry to be such a 'newb', but...
    I was thinking about buying a limited edition ampeg svt classic off ebay (1987, one of 500), and was unsure as to why they are more expensive- so they sound better- I am new to tubes bass amps, - should i just get a new one and get a year's warrenty? - i live in the uk. Worried it will cost an arm and a leg to repair if and when it blows up.

Thanks for the input!

Chris

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    These are the "Skunkworks" SVTs, which I think had something to do with a mass of old parts found in a factory somewhere.

3. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    So i take it its not worth the money?

4. Of the modern SVT it is the closest to the vintage circuits including the fact that it's a 2-channel amp like the original SVTs.

As of today, those '87 SVTs were the last ones in which Ampeg attempted to truly replicate the originals.

Worth the money? Prolly. How much is it?

5. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    The skunkworks SVT's are P2P wired if i remember correctly, the only difference between them and the original SVT's is that they have 12AX7's in the preamp instead of 12DW7's because in the 80's 12DW7's were not in production

And the one you are talking about on ebay (im sure thats the one you've seen), is really not worth it, the guy is wanting WAY too much for it, and its been sitting on ebay for ages for a reason . . .

I doubt it would blow up, but its not worth it, also, its not 500watt RMS like he claims

Not too long ago i saw a 1972 ampeg SVT and 1974 ampeg 810 cab together go for £750, that was a steal, and also a fair bit cheaper than that guy is selling his.

I just checked again, and see he lowered the starting bid, but i bet his reserve will be £1750 or something, which was the old starting bid he used to have on it, and its not worth that!

A friend of mine has number 201 (i think), and they are really nice amps, but, thats alot of money

I would also steer clear of modern ampegs, they are just overpriced and not worth it, they dont have the sound of older ones, even normal ones from the 80's sounded better, the SVT-II also being an excellent sounding amp

Oh, and im sure that with ampeg its a 5 year warranty

6. SVT's have NEVER been point-to-point wired. It's a gui**** legend that PTP is always better anyway. A good layout is a good layout.

7. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    thanks for the info guys!
    How much would you pay for this particular svt? how much is it really worth?
    The warrenty is not as long here in England as it is in the states for some reason with ampeg.
    So - the general consensus is that modern svtcl's and svt2s are not that great and i should do my best to hold out for an old one on ebay to get the best tube grunt I can.

Chris

8. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Ok, my bad, i meant in the power section, which i was sure they had, if im wrong im wrong tho :)

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Have you seen this thread?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222423&page=2&highlight=ampeg+svt-vr

10. The tube sockets have a few directly soldered components, ie- the screen "fuse" resistors, but most of the output stage circuitry is on the BOARD directly underneath the driver tubes.