SOLD 1988 Music Man Stingray (Trade for RW boarded Ray)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MojaveVox, Dec 23, 2021.

1. MojaveVox

MojaveVox

Apr 30, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Quite likely I won't find what i'm looking for, but it never hurts to try. I'm looking to trade my 1988 "transitional" Stingray with a highly figured curly maple neck/fingerboard for another late 80's-early 90's Ray with the same, or similar features (4 bolt neck plate, bullet truss-rod, skunk striped neck, classic bridge with mutes) and a rosewood fingerboard. As much as I've tried, I just can't really get on with maple boards for some trivial reason. Color of the bass doesn't matter all that much to me, and while I do prefer 2 band Rays, i'm not opposed to 3 band. Keep in mind i'm looking exclusively for rosewood boarded late 80's-early 90's Stingrays and nothing else for this bass, not interested in selling unfortunately so please refrain from asking.
    Thanks!
    Ray1.jpg
    Ray5.png
    Ray3.jpg
    Ray2.jpg
    Ray4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Tanner5382 and pil101 like this.
  2. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Could you possibly find a competent luthier near you who could make a copy of your neck with a rosewood board? That way you could keep your bass and switch out necks while still having the original on hand.

MojaveVox likes this.
  3. MojaveVox

MojaveVox

Apr 30, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    That's certainly a possibility, but i'm such a stickler when it comes to the originality of instruments that it wouldn't feel right to me to have an aftermarket neck on it, and don't get me wrong, I love this bass and can tolerate the maple board, maybe it'll grow on me some more in the future, but I just thought it'd be worth a shot to put this out there in case someone felt the same about their rosewood Ray.

maxschrek likes this.
  4. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I'm considering this.. I have an '87 Trans Red/RW 3band. I've been gravitating to maple boards. If not complete instrument swaps, may consider just the necks. Also, I'm right here in Chesterfield, right off of Chippenham & Belmont. With Christmas and the unfortunate passing of a friend yesterday, things are going to be a little iffy over the next few days...but lets get together in a PM.

Attached Files:

MojaveVox and Tanner5382 like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022