1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1989-90 Peavey T.B Raxx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timrichter9, Oct 24, 2019.

1. timrichter9

timrichter9

Dec 7, 2013
    Hey all:

I just picked up a T.B. Raxx for $27.00. Looking at the schematic, it appears to be a 4 stage (2 12ax7s) preamp with 2 EQs. I was curious about what gear would have been paired with this preamp back in 1989/90. What power amps would have been available back then to use with this preamp? Thanks all

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Peavey made CS400, CS800, and CS1200 power amps in that era I think.

P.S. Nice price on the T. B. Raxx!

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a steal on that preamp. Very warm and modern sounding in my opinion.

In addition, the Peavey 50/50, 60/60, 120, and 120/120 were tube power amps that were paired as well.

wave rider likes this.
  4. ScottsTheLimit

ScottsTheLimit

Sep 3, 2018
    One of the best things about the TB Raxx are the dual eqs. The first eq on the left is passive, and is PRE distortion. You can use it to shape the signal (cut the clank and noise) before you distort your signal (ala Geddy Lee's late 70's "shape the tone before the distortion" technique). Then, the second eq is active (with 15db boost/cut) and is AFTER the distortion (so you can get rid of the horrible ice pick sizzle and crap while fine tuning your overall tone). The passive mid shift button is very effective.

The TB Raxx is one of the best bass preamps ever. It is capable of an insane amount of smooth controllable distortion, even withOUT the gain boost activated (which really isn't needed). The gain boost is only there because there was an identical guitar preamp at the time called a TG Raxx (the only difference being a couple capacitor changes in the tone stacks). Actually, the TB Raxx was just a re-purposing of the guitar version (which also works great for bass).

This scenario is similar to the development of the Alphabass head from the same era. That amp's existence was merely an excuse to use leftover Mace guitar head 160w 6L6 tube power sections from years earlier. BTW...the Alphabass is one of the best bass amps ever produced, but it was merely an excuse to get rid of excess inventory and parts.

Raw N Low likes this.