Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1989 Fender MIJ P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Oct 21, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Does anyone have an opinion on the 89 MIJ Fender P basses w/black head stock, wood used for body, sound, quality, etc? The Music store was asking $350 for it. It had EMG in it :(

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG's are good pickups, but not the pickups that came on that bass, so I would maybe ask if he'd go $300 or $325. $350's not a bad price at all, really, but the bass isn't stock and that's highly desirable to collectors, so use that as an angle.

I know of a lot of guys who like their MIJ's better than the MIA models of that era. Woods were pretty much the same as MIA models (alder or ash). Construction methods were similar, although I think the MIJ's weren't quite to the level of MIA's of the time, but they were close enough to where they're easily worth $350.

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks much!! Ive got some stock 78 pup's sitting around I can throw in. I was concerned about the quality of that bass. Its ugly white so I wanted to sand it down but needed to know what wood was underneth, its light so maybe alder? but thanks again, big help. Ill go offer them $250 tomarrow and see what happens.

4. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    the wood varies either basswood, alder, or ash.. depends on the model..

build quality is the same reguardless of wood, it is excellent and I have played basswood basses that are killer, the current blue flower and pink paisley 54 RI are examples...

if the bass is complete it is a good price.

5. Hopefully it's alder or ash, if you're planning to sand the finish down. At the very least, basswood is very similar to alder so you can't complain about the tone. Likely, though, around the late 80s, Fender used alder and produced pretty good stuff from their factory. Let us know how that P-bass sounds and plays... because I'd recommend you buy it for 350$.

6. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks again everyone. I will post after I make the deal hopefully happen.