1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1989 Squire HM strings too close together

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billy K, May 12, 2011.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I got one of these scarce basses. It was black with Bartolini passive P/J pickup setup.The tone is awsome.I can't seem to play it hense the string spacing is too close together.I is set up as if it were a 6 string guitar.Perhaps for pick users hense HM heavy metal.I played with other 5ers and they were not that tight.I gave it a week to see if I could get use to it using fingers and I am seeing if GC will take it back. I am going to find out their used guitar return policy.Hopfully with the prospect of me buying a new Squire they wont balk at my offer. Wish me luck.:(

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Good Luck, who know's what they'll do. I have an HM5 and once I got used to it I loved the narrow spacing, great neck on those. I have laid it to rest, going back to 4's a year ago and I picked it up the other day and I know what you mean, I keep going for the next string up and skipping two! Just have to think about it and after a minute or two, back on track. You should consider keeping it because they are hard to find and a great instrument.

What did you pay for it?

3. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I got it for 150 plus tax. I don't know maybe I will buy a Squire Affinity and do some add ons to it. And keep the HM we'll see after I talk with GC when they open today

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Go for a vintage modified. Has the big tuners that work fine until you decide to swap em. The Duncan pups are excellent and no real need to swap them. Affinity's just aren't as nice. Vm is worth the extra 80 bucks, imo.

5. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Those are yummy! Keep it man, you'll get used to it.