SOLD 1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro I - Black, Boire, Wenge, Bartolini J + MM, Bartolini Pre - Price Drop!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by c0nsilience, Aug 22, 2019.

1. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Price:
    $3500
    Strings:
    This is a first year of production Dolphin Pro I, which means it was one of the first 20 Dolphin's ever built - and the only factory black one built in 1989! It also represents the first time Warwick offered platinum (satin chrome)hardware. It is the pinnacle of Warwick's 'golden' era.

It has a Boire body, Wenge/Zebrano no-volute neck with a Wenge fretboard. Bartolini J+MM pickups and 2-brand preamp provide plenty of active/passive tonal options. There have been no modifications done to this bass and, while it does have a few scrapes and play wear, it is in stellar condition for a 30 year old instrument with a lot of life left in the bronze frets.

According to HP Wilfer at Warwick, over the last 30 years, there have been less than 500 Dolphins built, so this beauty is extremely rare and would make a nice investment for a collector or a fantastic main bass for a pro-level player.

It took me several years to find this bass and get it shipped from England. Currently, there are no other 1989 Dolphin's for sale anywhere. I've wrestled with getting rid of this bass, but I cannot simply justify holding onto a high end bass for the sake of it. It needs to be played. If you were to get one made in 2019, it would cost upwards of 11k and wouldn't be made out of Boire since that wood has been on the endangered species list since the mid 1990's. In addition, Warwick has been using CNC machines for the past two decades, so 100% handmade is completely out of the question.

Here is your chance to own a piece of Warwick history, back when they made basses by hand in a small west german shop!

It is currently strung with relatively new La Bella's and she sounds amazing (check out the SoundCloud link, as that is the Dolphin straight into the board).

It comes with a used, but heavy-duty flight case and will be shipped insured within the continental USA only.

Shipping and insurance is included in the sale price.

Price Dropped to: $3,300

Note: I also have this bass listed on Reverb.com, but I am listing it a bit cheaper here for my fellow TBers. :) This bass is a beast and is hands-down the absolute best Warwick I've ever played!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    HeavyJazz, db59, cataract and 11 others like this.
  2. robthebig1

robthebig1

Mar 11, 2016
    This bass is the bees knees, I am the chap that this guy brought the bass from. Its a cool bass and has an amazing growl.
    You will not be disappointed with this bass what so ever.
    Go on guys spoil yourself.
    If you interested in a trade for a Enfield lionheart custom let me know as i would have the bass back.

Jazzish and c0nsilience like this.
  3. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    My '92 Pro-1 is Humbled!

c0nsilience likes this.
  4. Crazy cool! Good luck.

5. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    A '92 is nothing to sneeze at!

Thank you gentlemen! It is a monster bass, for certain. I'm no pro and the wife wants some instruments cleared out, so....happy wife = happy me.

6. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mid-week "get it before I change my mind" bump! :D

The price is lowered, but holding steady at $3500 shipped and insured in the continental USA.

I've gotten some queries, but CITES prevents me from shipping across the pond, sorry gents!

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    That’s the sexiest Dolphin I’ve ever seen

c0nsilience and Green Knight like this.
  8. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Sooo beautiful ... I'd be tempted if it were in Canada.

c0nsilience likes this.
  9. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Fantastic bass, monster tone, the height of Warwick's golden era and the pinnacle of their designs. Dropped the price as low as she is going gentlemen. Hell of a fair deal on an iconic instrument!

10. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I hate CITES. But I love trees. So I love CITES. But damn ... this bass is HOT.

c0nsilience likes this.
  11. robthebig1

robthebig1

Mar 11, 2016
    Any trades chap?

12. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Not really man. That being said, I do have more than a passing interest in Lakland 44-94’s, certain EBMM’s and Alembics.

13. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Hmmmm, I have some of the best of those.

Questions: what’s the nut width? String spacing at bridge? Neck dive? Neck thickness front (fretboard) to back... is it thin, thick, a V, half a ball bat, etc?

Thanks

14. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    nut width = 44mm
    string spacing at bridge = 19mm

Neck thickness isn't very much...fairly thin, actually and very, very fast. It isn't a broadneck or a typical Warwick baseball-bat neck. This bass was handmade when Warwick knew what they were doing. It isn't chunky, but it isn't a Parker Fly either.

Perfectly balanced with zero neck dive, strap on it or off of it. It is the most ergonomically balanced bass I've ever had and I've had a Ritter, Alembic, etc.

I'm still very much on the fence with actually parting with it. You don't come across many opportunities in life for a monster unicorn.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  15. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Price dropped to $3,000 including shipping and insurance in the continental USA.

16. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Final price drop to $2700! This is a hell of a deal.