1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1991 MIM P Bass Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bcm924, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bcm924

bcm924

Feb 11, 2019
    Hi guys - I recently dug my old MIM P bass out of my mom's attic where it's been for the last 20 years (I started out as a bassist in the early 90s, been playing guitar since) and I want to fix it up and start playing again. I am having a hard time finding the right parts for it though. For instance, everywhere I look, the factory P bass pots are 250k. But mine has 500k pots for some reason. Do I want to switch them out?

What I need are:
    - Bridge height adjustment screws, or set screws (which size is correct for this model?)
    - Tuning machine bushings (I'm missing 2 of them - no clue how or when that happened. What is the right size? Most that I see say from 2001-present)
    - Wiring kit (both pots are bad - I'm looking at this setup Traditional Vintage for Precision Bass® )

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated...

2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    An old Mexican Fender would be a good modding and upgrading platform. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping original parts.

250k pots are more often seen in P basses. It could be that Fender simply had a line on cheap 500k pots when they kicked off the MIM production, or they wanted to make the basses sound brighter.

96tbird and bcm924 like this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Is it one of the Mexican P-Basses with the Stratocaster knobs on it? If so, I'd gut the electronics and start over. 250k pots are the way to go. I don't think the tuners they use now are any different. You could always upgrade to the Hipshot replacements that fit.

Axstar likes this.
  4. bcm924

bcm924

Feb 11, 2019
    You mean the traditional white plastic "Volume" and "Tone" knobs labeled 0-10? Yes it does. I was wanting to replace those anyway with some knurled chrome knobs. When you say gut it, do you mean the pickups as well? or just the pots, jack, and wiring?

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Do what you will with the wiring. If it needs replacing do it.

As far as the pickups go, wire first, then listen. They might have the sound you're looking for. Then you can make an informed decision.

96tbird likes this.
  6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Welcome on board!

A local repair tech or music store might have some bushings.

I suggest keep the pickup until you see how it sounds.

Definitely replace those ugly-A-F Strat knobs. I recently saw a new fender bass that’s using those and posed the question why? Somebody’s answer was “esthetics” lol. If you like tye esthetic of a cheap POS which is how they look.

7. bcm924

bcm924

Feb 11, 2019
    Thanks for all the help. I believe I have found everything I needed on Ebay.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Just the wiring. The pickup is okay. There are better ones, but there's nothing wrong with the pickup you have.

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Get 250k pots with solid shafts and some proper flat top knurled knobs.

Tort and flats is mandatory. :roflmao:

Post pics of the tuners on there before you jump into that lake.

10. bcm924

bcm924

Feb 11, 2019
    Here's a pic of the headstock in question, with the mysteriously absent tuner bushings... I've ordered the new bushings. Since I don't have a press, I'm thinking installation involves an oversized socket and a mallet?

Attached Files:

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Socket, piece of wood, and a cheap C clamp to press it in.

bcm924 likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021