Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1991 Modulus Quantum 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by pickles, Oct 7, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This bass is one of a kind as far as I know, and has some serious Mojo. I've had it for many years and it has served me very well, but I'm just going for a different kind of tone these days.

Alder body with a gorgeous figured walnut top. The pics do not do it justice (I need to get a better camera) Lane Poor pickups with a custom electronics package by Mike Childree, who I bought this bass from. The pickups go into a Lane Poor 2x1 buffer preamp, then to individual passive volume and tone controls.

You really can roll off the highs individually on the pickups without effecting the tone of the other, so this bass can get sounds no other modulus can! I like to run the blend 50/50 with the highs full up on the bridge pickup and full off on the neck pickup for "modern" tone, and for a classic groove start with the modern setting, but roll off the bridge pickup volume until the tone is *just* still clear.

This bass is just back from having a complete fret job done by modulus co-founder Jerry Dorsch (now runs Graphite Guitar Systems), so it plays like a new bass.

Sold for $1400.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    HUGE bump!! Gorgeous bass- can't wait till I can afford one...

3. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
  4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All PMs answered, keep the offers coming.

5. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Folks, this is the most killer-sounding Modulus you'll ever hear. It'll eat the new ones for lunch in both tone and playability. I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if the funds were available...

Somebody jump on this quick!

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On hold for schmittuml!

And for the record, I agree with Mike's comment. I've played lots of Q5s with EMGs and Barts, and this bass is "the one".

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I havn't heard a peep from schmittuml in several days, so I'm officially putting the bass back up for grabs.

9. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    This is one damn sexy beast. But way out of my capabilities. :crying:

10. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    and the neck profile is awesome. These are the Q5s to own. Nice bass, somebody should grab this one quick.

11. If that tone you're after is in the form of a warwick thumb five, i'll trade straight up, i'm sure you won't bite, and i know it's a bagel of an offer, but it's there. 98 with wenge neck and fingerboard, all the 98 fixins. I do'nt even think it's worth that much though. Haha :hyper:

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No thanks, I've already got the basses that get me the tone in my head. :D

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Y'all I think I've decided to keep this bass.

I'm remembering what it sounded like through my old amp and decided to at least wait until I've re-assembled a version of that amp to try it with again.

I can't go through with it!

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    OK, I think I'm going to go ahead and sell this bass. My tastes are just more and more fendery, so I'm not playing the quantum at all.

I think I can I think I can ... BTW, BassNW has a Q5 from the same year, with regular barto electronics, that doesn't look nearly as nice, and doesn't come in a hardshell, for $1599, so this is officially crackhead pricing.

Only trades I'll consider are Demeter preamps, Lakland Bob Glaub, or good rosewood board precision basses.

15. Can't afford it, but just wanted to say that I, too, bet this bass kicks!

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You'd consider Demeter preamps, huh?
    Well, I've got one... How much in trade would you take for it? It's a VTBP-201s?
    Only reason I'm partially considering is that's one of the baddest Modulus' I've ever seen... I kinda want a fretless tho, so we'll see... PM me and lemme know what you're thinking!

17. Aaacck!

This is a twin to mine 4 string...

Might think about this.

18. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sent you a PM, rockstarbassist!

19. BTH

BTH

Nov 18, 2005
    2pickles:
    Very nice. :) I'm looking for a Quantum-6 now, but... Can you send on my e-mail any WAVs or MP3s of this Modulus?

20. BTH

BTH

Nov 18, 2005
    And... there's not 3-band eq?