1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1991 Peavey TL-5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PubliclyViewable, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PubliclyViewable

PubliclyViewable Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Price:
    Strings:
    1991 Peavey TL-5 in Translucent Black – I’ve always loved the purple hue of this era of Peavey. With that being said, I remember this as being the first bass that elicited weak knees from my incompetent teenage self. This example I have had for a number of years (6?) and was thrilled when I got it save for the neck pickup 60-cycle hum. More on that later.

The bass has been unplayed for about two years. The hardware is wonderful, the setup is wonderful, the overall condition (save for the missing battery box, like all of these) is wonderful. A lot of bass for the money: USA build, neck-through, 24 frets, etc.

The Super Ferrite pickups from this 1st-Gen TL-5 are 4-lead, hum-canceling bridge (think P-bass) and 2-lead, single coil neck. The original preamp was very poor, so I replaced it with a Glockenklang that I thought would take care of the hum. No dice, so I checked all ground-points and improved the shielding. Still no success, so I moved to a Bartolini unit. Once again, hum. I brought it to another local luthier other than myself, but got nowhere. I even called Peavey and spoke to an electrical engineer, but got nowhere. So the bass will be sold along with the hum because I owe the our lovely Government, but trust me I have tried HARD to eliminate it. So much that for all this time I have searched for another 4-lead hum canceling Ferrite and have even considered buying ANOTHER bass in order to harvest one out, but to no avail; I can’t find one. Can you? I have my automatic eBay searches going to this day, and will find one sometime.

To clarify - The hum does not appear on the hum-canceling bridge. While on the bridge it is studio-silent. Only when the neck is blended in does it present itself.

Lastly – The original knobs were modified to suit the other preamps. I love these knobs, which is why they are modified, but they are very brittle and I believe one is cracking.

Neck / Trussrod: 10/10 // 10/10
    Frets: 8/10
    Finish: 7.5/10 (minor nicks and dings, no battery box – battery located in control cavity)
    Hardware: 8/10 (save for the knob)
    Electronics: Bartolini Active/Passive - 3-yrs old and perfect, but 6/10 due to neck pickup
    Weight: ~9#
    Case: Possible softshell

With taxes around the corner I am liquidating several of my basses. All my instruments are kept on the wall of my temperature/humidity-regulated studio (now audio-only listening room), and as the Tax Man Cometh I am prompted to be relieved of my burden of so many of them. I will check the physical setup and clean the electrics of the bass previous to shipping, or more preferably, local pickup. Pricing is fair, close to firm and I can be persuaded to make use of Paypal.

I haven’t played any instrument in 18 months, so if there are glaring deficiencies in my description please do not hesitate to ask and I will investigate further (forgive me my memory). After 20 years I’ve lost all heart for playing and owning. These basses need playing and I hope that is the home they go to.

Cheers,

William

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. Nice. Shame you put so much work in to no avail. I started with a swap to Bart soapbars.....

PubliclyViewable likes this.
  3. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    The tone is beyond stellar. I really am in love with the Super Ferrite's though, so for me I wanted to keep them in the bass. Good luck with your build!

4. Added an EMG preamp, used it for 12 months or so full time. Still pick it up occasionally and realise again what a beautiful instrument it is.

Good luck with the sale!

5. Jones64

Jones64 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Boulder CO
    Great Bass. I switched out my Super Ferries for EMG and a EMG preamp in one I had 20 years ago. What a mistake. Even to my developing ears, it sounds way worse.
    These pickups rock. If i didn't have 6 project basses in my shop, i would jump on this. You won't find a nicer bass for the money. I had picked up a Foundation that did had a lot of hum, but it was just a couple of solder point and it is all fixed. Likely a simple fix. GLWTS.

Raw N Low and PubliclyViewable like this.
  6. where in Wisconsin are you?

7. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    In the Fond du Lac area. I would be willing to travel halfway up to about an hour.

8. Ok thanks - I'm up north, might consider this one....

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    My red one has the same pickups. One humbucker, one single. Tempting...

10. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    SOLD! Thanks BassikLee!