Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1991 Trace elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by awesome, Aug 25, 2002.

1. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I found a 1991 trace elliot for sale at ebay for 300€ ($). It's a GP12x pre with RA300 power amp in a 6u rackcase.
    Problem is I can't find almost nothing on the internet about these two.

Does anyone has any link to websites with info or reviews? Anyone who can tell me something? (I would really like to know if I can bridge the amp and what wattage that would get me.)

Bidding ends in 20 hours.

Thanx,
    Awesome

2. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    zoran

in my ah300w combo i used line out for connecting in separate poweramp

3. Hi awesome

Nice to sea another Belgian bassplayer around here :)

I used that setup for years : 1 RA300 + 1 GP12. I just searched it on ebay, an that is a great deal.
    I sold my setup a couple of months ago. I went for a new SWR. I sold both Trace units in a 4U professional rackflightcase for 35000 BEF, so 300 Eur is a very great deal, believe me ! That setup can be 10 years old, so you should ask the seller.

Depending on what cabinets you are using, that might be a very good medium setup. Left and Right channel deliver 150W per site at 4 ohm. I think that it was a 100W per site at 8 ohm. Those days I had 4 small 8-ohm Trace cabs, so I could drive the unit at it's full power with the 4 cabs (2 times 8 ohms cabs on each side makes 4 ohm per side or 300W total). In small clubs I used two cabs (8 ohm per side makes 200W total)

The GP12 is a good preamp with a very easy 12 bands eq. That model doesn't have the compressor and quick bass/treble knob like the recent models have. The rest hasn't changed a lot.

If I was looking for a new setup, I should definetly check out that rig, certainly at that price, and no, it's not me that is selling it ! :)

I'm gonna have a look tonight, if I still find some photo's where that rig is on it. Maybe I can post them here.

Good Luck with it.
    Peace
    Bassman

4. another thing : you can't bridge it, so you have to use one channel, or use both in stereo.

Peace
    Bassman

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    it is better if you have compressor on it or in separate unit, cause trace can be boomy on low end and slap high tones increase volume a lot. I talk about trace 300w+ 4x10" combo,my stingray, and of course my technique which is not always so precise.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Should be a good enough arrangement. The older TE stuff should be reliable - I used to have an older AH250 with a GP11 preamp. You will bet about 200 watts into 8 ohms and the full 300 watts onto 4 ohms.

You can't bridge it as it's a mono amp. However, I believe that the GP12X preamp has a crossover - on the 300 I think it's a fixed crossover though (I think the 600SMX amp had a variable crossover, but the lower powered amps it was fixed!)

Hope this helps!

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanx for the replies, it looks like I will be bidding.

Hearing that I can't bridge the amp was a bit disappointing though, it limits my choice in cabs drastically.
    So far I came up with 2 setups. Either 1 laney RBC 410 (4 Ohm, 240W) or 2 Peavey's TVX210 (4 Ohm, 175W) (or maybe first just try with one peavey)
    It looks like the peavey is the best choice, although it's a bid more expensive.
    Every suggestion is welcome.

8. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Yes ... I got the amp!!! And it sounded nice... very nice!!! :D :D :D

To bad I can't play it at home now. :rolleyes: Haven't got any cabs yet, but I will be auditioning soon!!! So tips are welcome

The guy did say I should use a compressor with the trace cause he once blew his speakers.
    Do you guys think I need a compressor with this amp? My (future) cabs will run underpowered anyway with the 150W @ 4 Ohm. Any comments?
    :confused:

Thanks,
    Awesome