1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1992 MIA Fender Jazz Plus V 5-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ian Perge, Mar 8, 2008.

1. She's my baby and more than any other piece of gear led me to find the perfect style of bass for me and my needs (ala Jazz-style, Jazz-type single coil pups, string-spacing, etc) and will be missed, but I've got to sell her off to help pay off the higher-end basses I've been led to because of her. Specs as follows:
    • Body: Downsized Alder Body, Black
    • Neck: Maple
    • Fingerboard: Pau Ferro, 9.5" Radius (241mm)
    • No. of Frets: 22
    • Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    • Width at Nut: 1.75"" (44.5mm)
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Machine Heads: Gotoh GB-7
    • Bridge: Gotoh 5-string bridge (the 5-string version of the Gotoh 201, and close to the bridge on the Fender Jazz Bass 24 V but with slightly tighter string-spacing)
    • Pickups: 2 Silver Fender Lace Sensor J-Bass pickups
    • Pickup & Electronic Controls: Philup Kubicki-designed preamp consisting of a) Stacked Master Volume and Pan Pot, b) Stacked Treble Boost/Cut and Bass Boost/Cut, c) Active EQ Select Rotary Switch From Full Clockwise...Standby, Active With Mid Boost (amount controlled by trimpot in the control cavity), Active, Passive

The Fender "Plus" Precision and Jazz lines, manufactured from 1988 to 1994, was at the time the top-of-the-line Jazz bass made by Fender at the time and their attempt at a "modern" Precision and Jazz with downsized bodies, 22 frets, and active preamps to compete with other active basses in the late '80s and early '90s while still staying inside the "Fender" branding. More "Modern" body designs were introduced via the "Heartfield" line, which was closer in guitar and bass designs to Ibanez and other "Super Strat" companies.

They came equipped with 2 Lace Sensor Jazz pups which I personally find very "clean", even, and punchy in their response. The killer, however, is the preamp - it's a derivation of the classic Philup Kubicki preamp: Fender owned Kubicki at the time and used a "light" version of the preamp in both the Jazz Plus, Precision Plus, and the original 32" scale Stu Hamm "Urge" I signature bass. The Jazz version comes with a Stacked Master Volume and Pan Pot, Stacked Treble Boost/Cut and Bass Boost/Cut, Circuit Select Switch (From Full Clockwise...Standby/Off, Active With Mid Boost which is set via a trimpot in the control cavity, Active, and Passive. I've always found the preamp a great thing is you have a ton of options such as Active, the Active w/ Mid Boost which is a cool setup for a solo or volume boost, the Passive option which far too few basses have (in Passive mode the top middle pot switches to a passive rolloff) and the Bass and Treble controls which are fairly strong and can alter the tone significantly.

Construction-wise it's an MIA Fender all more-than solidly built. The body wood is Alder, the neck Maple with a Pau Ferro fretboard, and the tuners Gotoh GB-7s and the bridge a Gotoh 5-string. Width at the nut is 1.75" and string-spacing is a bit tighter than average at between 17 and 17.5mm. She's very well kept-up for a 16-year-old bass (I'm the second owner - the first played very few gigs, I've done none with her, even the plastic on the control panel is still intact) ) - there are 2 extremely minimal 1-2mm "dings" that are clearcoat-only, and a small amount of pick wear on the front and buckle rash on the back. I'm currently using Meguiar's Care Kit to buff out the few scratches on the front and back, but even so they're so minimal that they don't show up on any photos. Bass has been regularly cleaned and fretboard oiled during my ownership, has a set of Dunlop Dual Design StrapLoks installed and will ship in a GC gig bag inside a standard bass shipping container.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asking *SOLD* shipped in the CONUS, overseas shipping dependent on my decision and increased shipping cost. Trade possible for Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass with maple fretboard in Candy Tangerine. PayPal preferred, Money Order or Cashier's Check acceptable. Thanks for reading!

2. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Bump for a sexy bass.

3. PMs replied to. Also, the "dot" on the lefthand side of neckplate in the last photo is for a Fender MicroTilt (tm) Adjustment Screw.

4. Gotta bump this one.

JFRED likes this.
  5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    This is my favorite jazz bass ever! I had a 4-stringer for a while until the preamp died - I was way bummed.

I really can't do it, but i would love to own this thing. The price is fantastic.

6. One more time.

Come on people.

7. I don't normally get the non traditional Fender styles, but this is le sex. 5 months ago I would have been all over this, it's just my poverty that prevents me.

8. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

pm sent....gotta have it....

9. All PMs replied to.

10. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Pm sent 2 days ago. no reply as of yet?
    Cheers
    Dale

11. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    poverty sux...nice bass.

12. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Just to let other people know the bass is sold pending payment.
    Cheers
    Dale

13. What ^ said - power loss and I just got back online. Congrats!

14. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    do u remember the serial number of this bass? because i recently got it and i am from greece! i took it from a fellow here in greece and it has the exactly color with yours

15. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    10294229_10201936778490210_8938779064068796051_n.