1993 Peavey Foundation Original Price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Mar 9, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok sorry to bring up a second pawn shop question but i'm poking around for a backup bass......
    i've tried a 1993 peavey foundation (black w/ a maple board) that seems ok
    peavey's website was able to identify the year by the serial # and told me the msrp in 93 was 329 bucks
    any clue how much this bass actually sold for in a store back in 93 and what the going rate is for one of those now?
    thanks for anyone who knows
  2. I got a peavey foundation used about 3 years ago, for around 300 canadian ( I think).
  3. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Figure in 93 a 25% discount of MSRP was reasonable (not much incentive to discount heavily back then - no internet, etc) so you're looking at $246. Really they were a great deal back then - USA made, solid poplar body, maple neck, good sound. My first fretless was a '94 Peavey Foundation and its still in good condition.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks for the input
    i tell ya, not to brag about how great my axe is, but when you are shopping for a backup to an '86 tobias 4 I have to laugh when i'm looking at a 11 year old peavey
    to be fair, i've always heard good things about their basses and while this one is no vintage fender jazz it seems to be well made
    it would be nice to have a bass that i wouldnt worry about all night.....
  5. I think new Foundations sold for about $250 in '93. You can find used ones for about $150, that's what I paid for a used fretless a few years back. It had a BIG sound but the neck was too small for me.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Peavey have always made excellent gear IMO.. The first real bass I had was a Peavey Patriot.
  7. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Portland, OR
    They sell for between $200 - $500 on ebay now. The Peavey USA basses are top quality and really the best basses for the value out there.
  8. wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    If you're planning to buy it, I wouldn't pay any more than 200 unless it is in completely stellar condition. I picked up a '91 in august for like 110 shipped or something insane like that.