1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1993 Rick. 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaffeineTripp, Apr 22, 2006.

1. So I'm curious if there is anything I can do to, umm, well, (if it's even possible) to beef up the sound. Though I haven't played this Rick. yet, I'm hoping to add something a little deeper to it. Are there any pickups that anyone would recommend? Or just buy some OEM's? Maybe a new neck too. Bass seems to be in good shape in the pictures. Any recommendation for strings? Notice that he ran Boomers through it. *Sigh.* Boomers...*Sigh.* D'Addarios sound nice on a Rick. or go with something harder to find?

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    You haven't played it yet?

How do you know it needs beefing up then? Newer Ricks are very full bodied.

New neck?
    Uh, unless it's an uber rare set neck, the 4003's are all neck through construction.

D'Addarios are fantastic on a Rick (it's what I use on all three of mine) but it's all a matter of personal taste.

Speaking of, Ricks are definitely an acquired taste too. I would suggest playing the bass before doing any modifications. Plus it'll give you time to decide if it really is a Rick that you want.

3. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Don't mod it unless it's broken. The 4003 pickups are quite hot and full, so I doubt you'll need to "beef up" the sound. Depending on what strings you use, it'll sound really different (flats make it VERY deep and full and thumpy, while steel rounds are very growly and clanky).

You can't change the neck on a Ric short of physically removing the body wings and building a new through-neck, and so on. Why on earth would you ever want a new neck on a Ric?! They're super comfortable, and being neck-through, if anything, makes the sound much more sustain-full and deep than a bolt-on, which would make it punchier.

Bottom line: don't mess with it. Just figure out a good brand of strings to use and you're good to go. The pickups are some of the best pickups ever made (most replacement pickups for Rics are junk anyway) . . . I'm not sure if the treble pickup cap was even in 4003 basses, so that might not even be an issue, but if it is, there are plenty of people who know how to easily bypass it.

If you want "beefy" sound, I would say use some heavy gauge nickel rounds, or maybe some nice flats like La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass or something. And then just adjust your amp accordingly.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Chances are, you're not gonna feel the need to beef up that bass once you play it. Early '90s Ricks have insanely hot and loud pickups with plenty of low end to spare. Unless someone has gone ahead and switched out the stock pickups on it.

5. That's the thing though. I haven't played this Rick. that I'm getting, but I've played one before. Loved it completely. I'm just not sure if everything is original on it or not. I'm sure that if I was going to replace everything, it would be OEM. Rick's are an acquired taste. Acquired the taste for it when I saw it. She's banged up a bit, no cracks that I saw from the pictures, but I don't know if the wiring is fine, how the pickups are, the tuners, etc. I know that Rickenbacker website does have replacement parts, but would they sound different as the 2006 from the 1993? This is going to be my main bass from now on, and I would love for it to be as original as possible. To give it that wicked feel and sound that people know it's a Rickenbacker.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Brand new RIC pickups might sound a bit brighter. The original pickups in my '92 4003 measured to be 12.5kohms on an ohm meter, but I've heard of other early-90's Ricks whose pickups hit the 15k mark. Today's pickups are about 11kohms. (For reference, pickups from the 70's were in the 7kohm range or thereabouts.)

Seymour Duncan and Bartolini both make Rick replacement pickups. I've tried them both, but ended up just stucking with RIC pickups. Those pickups don't change the sound of the instrument *too* much, as you can tell it's still a Ricky bass, but they kinda bring their own "accent" to the table. They both sounded a little less raw and more refined than the stock pickups, perhaps because the Barts and SD's are humbuckers and the stock RIC ones are overwound, hot single coils. The Barts sounded like one would expect Barts would sound; kind of a cleaner, hi-fi kind of sound. The SD's I remember having a slightly stronger midrange character than the Barts.

7. I think that's what I'm going to do, just stick with the pickups that are in it. Maybe replace with some new OEM pickups. Well, thankyou all for the info. Gonna help a lot! Oo! One more thing; how much does a tune-up cost on average? Granted, I know that it depends on where you go, but what are the prices that you've had to deal with?

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    How do you attach a new neck to a neck-through instrument? :eek:

MM

9. Sorry, yeah, goofed with the neck-thru. Apologizes. *Shame.*

10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I just sold a 92 Ric 4003 after 8 years of ownership and, let me assure you, if there's one thing it has more than enough of, it's beef. I found I usually had to take low end out of the tone slightly, that bass had it by the barrelfull. Just leave it as is for a while and actually listen to it before you decide to do anything drastic.

As for strings, Rotosounds used to sound just amazing on it (having tried D'Addario, Fender, Ernie Ball, etc too).

11. So I just got the RIC last night. Was standing there in the box all alone. There are a few knicks and chips in it, but the shound is perfect. Needs new strings, can't stand Boomers. Bleh. Action's a bit high from the tenth fret on. The G-string is dead from the seventh or eigth fret up. Thinking that's due to the action and the choice of strings. Still wondering what the price is for a full tune-up for a bass. I think that would be about it. The bass is great besides the G-string, the action and the strings themselves, other than that, perfect!

12. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Pictures!!!!

13. Pictures as soon as my girlfriend and I take some of the band and such. Going to have quite a few I believe.