1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED 1993 Tobias Killer B5 Pope 4 Band Pre

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by darkbass, Feb 15, 2016.

1. darkbass

darkbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2006
    NYC
    RockReady Artist Relations Mgr.
    Price:
    $1500
    Strings:
    image. image. image. image. image. image. I repatriated this bass from Germany a few months ago. It is pre & post Nashville but obviously post Gibson. This bass was fabricated in Burbank in 1993 but final assembled and shipped from Nashville. How do I know? I was the Product Mgr. for Tobias/Steinberger working out of Burbank during the transition. In fact I was the last "Tobias" employee on the books during the transition. For further irony I named the Killer B model.

Ok history lesson over, here are the specs. Trans-Red finish over Ash body, Maple neck with Pau Ferro fingerboard, black hardware (although the bridge plating has seen better days), original Bartolini soap bar humbucking pickups and a Mike Pope 4 band preamp. The original Bartolini NTMB will also be included.

Bass weighs 8 lbs. it's a real pleasure on long gigs. The Headstock has a Black veneer witch I believe Gibson stopped doing in later years. It also has Black Hipshot Straploks and Grover Tuners and currently sporting Sadowsky knobs. The black switch is original and now merely placebo as the Pope has its active/passive bypass control on the push/pull volume knob. The Pope pre really brings out a dimension in these basses we never imagined back in the day.

The overall condition of the bass is very good. About 8.5/10. Really nice for its age. There is some swirling in the finish that could be buffed if that's your thing. No chips or remarkable dings worth mentioning.

By way of full disclosure the plastic truss rod cover plate has a small chip in it
    (About the size of 1/4 of a dime) The plate still functions 100%
    Serial #
    Bass will ship in the original Tobias hard shell case w logo. Will ship insured w USPS Priority mail
    Please PM any trade offers. Any low ball $ offers will be ignored.
    And in case you are wondering I have other Killer Bs that aren't as vintage. This bass is listed elsewhere so I reserve the right to pull it off at any point. Thanks for looking. Trade interests include Musicman Sabre, TecAmp Black Jag or Ken Smith Burner 5

Maiden Bass and G RICH 5 like this.
  2. dannyb87

dannyb87

Oct 19, 2012
    Calif.
    String spacing and is it 24 frets?

Please and thanks
    dB

3. dannyb87

dannyb87

Oct 19, 2012
    Calif.
    What about the black one next to it. ????!!!

4. darkbass

Aug 11, 2006
    NYC
    The black one has been sold!!!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. darkbass

Aug 11, 2006
    NYC