1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1993 Warwick Streamer NT-major mod or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brotherbassj, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Yes, what you plan sounds good!

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No, don't mod it anymore!

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Here's how i would mod your streamer.........

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I have a 93 neck through streamer. It has been modded somewhat already. The pickups were replaced with a basslines p and j and the pre with an aggie ob3(i got it this way). I love my streamer fna jazzman. i am thinking of keeping the p pickup and routing the jazz to accomodate a humbucker that will have a tap option. The bass is a player but has the most incredible warwick neck and action! Your thoughts friends?

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    '93 was a good year for Warwicks, but still, Warwicks aren't really all that collectible. Yours, as it stands is an $1,000 bass, and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future. If you like the way that bass plays, mod it if you want to. It's not like you're defacing an irreplaceable collectors item.

3. a neck-through streamer from '93 is still likely to fetch a bit over a grand

but personally, you've GOT an fna jazzman already... do you really need a tappable humbucker bridge pickup?

4. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I think you should use the time to practice.

if it ain't broke...

5. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    It's a non reversable change, and I think that P + MM is one of the most useless combo ever conceived.
    Don't do it

6. NT Streamer wouldn't sound like Jazzman. If you want a fatter bridge pickup just look for a fatter J, but don't touch this fine bass with a router.

7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    This man speaks the truth.

8. Why do you think that?

Personally, I'd vote against doing it only because there's no guarantee you'll like the results and if you were to try to sell it post mod you'd take quite a hit. I feel that over a certain point in price/quality you shouldn't feel the need to do "extreme" (irreversible, structure altering, etc) mods to get what you want out of it. If you want a fatter sound try some different J pickups. I think some Bartolini J1s or CBJD1s or Delano JCs or JMVCs could work wonders for you in that department.

9. I voted do it!
    It plays great as you said but it you want it to sound just a bit closer to what you imagine then modding it for a MM route seems reasonable.
    Ps: not to derail the thread but why would a P/MM combo suck?
    I'd imagine it would be awesome: a super mid-heavy bass that can cut through or stay in the mix well and still have a mild Leo traditional vibe. What's wrong with he idea of a P/MM?

10. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I woulnd't mod it since I don't feel the need for a bridge pick up.

11. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if you did do a change, a twin coil jazz would be a much better choice than a MM pickup.. or like Kwesi said, find another jazz pickup that gets closer to the tone you want..

all in all, it's your bass to do with what you want..

12. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks all for your advice and opinions so far.........any suggestions as to a fat, grunty jazz pickup? SHould I go with a stacked duncan or switch the whole thing over to bartolini's with the aggie pre?

PS-not sure how the p/mm would be worthless? I think the limited run dirty blond was a p/side by side jj..........oh well..........

13. kho

kho Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Laytonsville, MD
    Go for it, if that's what you want to do. Did that with a 'vette of mine to replace the MEC Twin Jazz with a Nordstrand MM pickup, and loved the results. I wasn't concerned about re-sale, since, like you, I loved the neck and wanted to make it a bass I would use more.

Maybe check out the Delano Hybrid 4 pickup as an option. Been thinking about replacing the mm pickup in my 'Vette with this just for S&G.
    http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=9f97ffcf75&tx_smtdelano_pi1[cat]=1&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=8&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=9

If you're hesitant, also maybe think about replacing the preamp as well as the jazz pickup, maybe with something like an Audere (I only mention that because I have tried both preamps and ended up preferring the sound of the Audere over the OPB3 in my Warwick). Again, this is all my own opinion.

14. kho

kho Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Laytonsville, MD
    It was, and it sounded incredible!

15. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    those SGD neo jazz humbuckers look like they might work for me........its a humbucker in a jazz casing and its a true humbucker.......not a stacked coil..........looked at Delano's nice but I do not want any 60 cycle hum from traditional single coil jazz pickups.