1994/95 Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo - Is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott9, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Scott9

Scott9

Feb 11, 2018
    Hi, I have only been playing bass a short time but I have the opportunity to purchase 1994/95 Rickenbacker for $1300.00 from a friend of a friend. His father bought it band new and NEVER played it, it is like it just rolled off the floor. Includes case, cleaning cloth, etc, all the case candy. It is pretty close to the price of a new one so I was hoping to get some input from those that know. Thank you.

2. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Gosh, that’s almost the price I had in my head for a new one. If you want the guitar, I’d see if I could buy it for a grand. Maybe eleven. I thought you were friends!

3. Scott9

Scott9

Feb 11, 2018
    Yeah, I hear ya.

He did some checking on reverb and eBay and most went in that 1000-1100 range, but figured since this was "new" in better shape, it was worth a premium. He wanted $1450.00 ... maybe I keep looking.

saabfender likes this.
  4. Welcome to the forum!

The real question here - at least IMO - is how much you like the bass in question. There's a huge difference between "Oh this is nice" and "OMG this is the instrument of my dreams".

willsellout likes this.
  5. Scott9

Scott9

Feb 11, 2018
    I agree 100 percent ... but it's a 1 1/2 hour drive and I was on the fence about the price and driving that far. I did offer him $1100 if I like it but he said $1300 was the best he could do.

6. If you find that it is the bass of your dreams, OK.
    You very rarely ever find any screaming good deals on Rics.
    Being in basicly new condition should put it at the high end of used pricing.
    Being over 20 years old might give you some barganing power.
    The age may be a positive, in that any neck twist or other odd
    behavior on the part of the wood will have shown up by now if it is ever going to happen.

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some of those 90's Maple-Glo's had some beautiful Flame/Figuring. It may be worth it if it's exceptionally nice. There were some nice thin necks being made then too. My 1997 Fire-Glo has a flat, fast and thin neck. Plus, it has some sweet flame on the back of the neck. I wouldn't part with mine for less than $1500.

8. Scott9

Scott9

Feb 11, 2018
    Thank you Bill!

9. Scott9

Scott9

Feb 11, 2018
    Thank you for the info!

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Those were a good year for Ricks. I have a ‘93 4003S. It’s perfect, neck straight and strong, finish is bombproof.

The issue with new ones is that RIC is using a different finish, changed in approx 2010. It’s prone to flaking off around the bridge area.

Best deal on a new 4003 is usually $1500, but if this bass feels fine to play, grab it.

Scott9 likes this.