1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1994 Fender MB-5 Truss Rod Size???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lownote38, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've had a 1994 Fender MB-5 (Japan) since I got it new. It was stolen in 2013 (I posted about that here), and I recovered it from a local Guitar Center. Whoever had it while it was gone chewed up the truss rod nut pretty bad and also over tightened it. There are no threads left on the rod to tighten it anymore. I can't find a washer that will fit in there. The regular Fender ones for vintage Fender instruments don't fit even after a lot of filing the inner and outer parts.

Now, here are my questions that even Fender could not answer. What thread size is the truss rod??? Is it metric? It's a tad bigger than a normal Fender rod. The hex key adjustment is metric on the stock truss rod nut (well it is now anyway after being chewed up. Can't remember if it was before). I want to (and need to) find a truss rod nut that will fit it, and also get some more room for adjustment (which means washers that actually fit underneath a new nut, or a new nut that is longer that I can take the first 3 rounds of threads out of with a drill, and then tap it for clean threads). Anyone have any insight, or ideas on the best thing to do? I'm just blown away that Fender has no records on this model of bass! I e-mailed them, and they didn't even have part numbers for anything other than the truss rod wrench that would be used! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Anyone? I REALLY want to get this bass playing right again and have it as my backup.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Man, no one knows a thing about this bass?? I know Fender doesn't, but I thought someone here might.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Can you get the nut off? If you can, you can take it to a hardware store and get it sized. THEN you can try an electric supply house for something called a connector nut. A connector nut is a nut that is about an inch long and is threaded all the way through. You then drill your first few threads as you described. If you have an "Ace" hardware store in your area they can special order a connector nut, but you may have to order a minimum, 50 - 100 usually but should be less than $10 USD.

You could even get stupid with your new truss nut by buying a short hex head cap screw and having it welded in place, and filing the outside of the connector nut so it is round.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Lownote38 likes this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The nut works. It's just bottomed out, so yes, I can get it out. It's just pretty chewed up on the hex key end. My next step, since even Fender doesn't know anything about this bass, is to do exactly what you said. Take the nut to a hardware store and figure out what the thread size is. If I can find a truss rod nut that's similar in width, but a bit longer and for a smaller truss rod, I can drill it, and re-thread it. The nut itself is smaller in width than the old Fender style (bullet, or neck heel screwdriver style), but larger than any Mexican, or Japanese one I've seen. This bass was put out at the end of the Fender Heartfield era, so it has more in common with a Heartfield than it does a regular Fender.