SOLD 1994 Ken Smith BMT 5 (Extremely hard to find Collection bass)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by otto B, Jun 18, 2021.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    This is one of my hardest decision I have ever made. Up for sale is this incredible 1994 Ken Smith BMT 5 bass. This bass is a tremendously collectable, they don’t come often for sale, specially the 5 string. This is a super rare opportunity to own one of the best basses that Ken Smith have ever built in my opinion. These basses are built like a tank. There were a limited numbers of BMT ever made, I believed they were 150 made. I was told this bass spend mostly of its years put away in the case as a collection bass. They are becoming extremely collectable and valuable. I was also told that this bass at one point was refinished by Ken Smith and had add it a new matte poly-mix finish which makes the bass have natural sounding while keeping the natural color always looking like new. This bass practically looks like new. Everyone that ask me about the bass they think the bass is brand new because how good it looks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this beauty.

The bass was upgraded with the latest BMT 18V preamp. I just install brand new bridge, tuners, strap locks insert, input jack and a set of Ken Smith Burner strings. The case is only a few years old from what I was told. It is in good condition, the outside has only few marks and in the inside has a little bit of damage (Show in picture) that is not that noticeable and it doesn’t affect the storage, everything works perfectly.

Every time I play at my Church I always get a lot of compliments on both the look and sound, it cuts and sit in the mix like no other basses. It is the perfect bass for every style of music. This also has to be the most comfortable bass I have ever played, it is super-fast playing bass. This is a dream of a bass to play and own.

Specs
    BMT fusion cut body style
    5A flame maple top and back
    7pc body , 7pc neck
    Dark Ebony finger board
    Mahogany core
    New matte poly-mix finish
    18mm space
    34 inch scale
    New BMT ken smith pre amp 18v
    Weight: 9 lbs 11oz

Asking $6,000 Shipped
    Please feel free to send me any questions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. KUETSUM

KUETSUM Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Wooooooooow

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Oh. my. lanta.

What a bass!! If was 4 or 19 mm...well, I'd be broke anyway.

This is gonna sell. For sure.

4. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I briefly owned this bass and it is the best of 1990s Ken Smith. Very organic tone, sounds as good passive as active, a 10 out of 10 on looks, and just an amazing bass. Ken only made about 150 or less BMTs and this one is a tone monster. You can't go wrong with this bass.

The quality of a Ken Smith back in the mid to early 90s is far superior to what is available today. The new owner of this 26 year old bass is going to be a very happy bassist.

KUETSUM and 31HZ like this.
  5. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

Wow! @otto B , this is even nicer than your White Tiger.

6. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Great seller with an amazing collection!

Please tell us you're not leaving the bass behind altogether?!

31HZ likes this.
  7. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    BMT? I don't see any bacon, mettuce or tomato...

Absolute stunner. Ken smith is my number 1 grail bass.

8. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Lovely, if it would have been a Wide Black Headstock!

9. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    i think the black headstock looks good with the BT model but no for BSR or BMT

10. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Good eye..!!...That's a great point !

11. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    I am looking to trade the BMT for my old Black tiger. The black tiger has a deep meaning to me as i purchased it while I was deployed in Afghanistan and Ken ship it to the combat zone. If any know who may have it pass the word

Attached Files:

12. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    31HZ likes this.
  13. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Tim Bishop has a library of basses!!

14. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    That's a nice Tone for that Black Tiger with Maple body...

15. jpeck02

jpeck02 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    This is a spectacular instrument. Wow. Masterpiece.

16. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    PM sent

17. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    I have done a lot thinking about selling this bass, and I come to my senses. This bass is to good, it looks incredible, sounds amazing and plays like butter. This BMT 5 models are extremely hard to find especially in this like new condition. I have decided to keep it, I will beat myself if I let it go, I wouldn’t find another one like this one.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    kraigg007 likes this.
  18. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    You made a wise decision. There are less than 150 of these in existence. You won't find a better example of the Smith Signature tone than what this bass delivers. The passive tone alone is perfect. You could rock any show and blow a sound engineers mind without a battery.

Enjoy.

19. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    This incredible KS is back for sale. It is my greatest sadness that i have to let it go.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. basharania

basharania

Feb 15, 2010
    Israel
    How much does the bass weigh?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021