1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1994 SWR Baby Blue II Reference Bass Combo

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Brad Maestas, May 6, 2019.

1. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    Price:
    **NOW $375!!**

I have for sale my constant companion since I ordered it new in late 1993 and took delivery in early 1994. I used it on countless gigs on upright and electric over the years. It's a perfect doubler's amp. The YouTube link below is an album I cut with it in 2003 coming straight out of the preamp. Everything that's been said about the preamp is true. It is something special.

It has moved across the country with me several times, always babied, always meticulously maintained. I wore out the original drivers in 1998 and had my technician replace them with Celestions. I've rolled many tubes through the preamp. It now has a new gold JJ 12AX7 installed.

There is some normal wear on the covering and the handle. After some years in storage it is now making a low-level hum that is the telltale sign of old caps. It sounds great other than that. It will need a re-cap which should be an easy job for a competent tech. I just haven't had the time to have it done so I've lowered the price to reflect that.

The Baby Blue Studio Reference Bass System was developed for the discerning professional bass player in need of a superior small bass rig for studio applications and smaller venues. The Baby Blue II is a self contained system that delivers 160 Watts into two 8 inch speakers and a 5 inch cone tweeter. The speaker system in the Baby Blue was patterned along the lines of studio reference monitors and is quite unique to the musical instrument field.

Features
    • Full-voltage tube preamplifier
    • 160 watt power amplifier
    • 2 x Celestion 8" woofers
    • 1 x Bag End 5" tweeter
    • 8 ohm cabinet impedance

Front panel:
    Power switch
    2 inputs (for Passive and Active instruments)
    Gain and Master Volume (each w/ clip indicator LED)
    3-band semi-parametric EQ
    Aural Enhancer Effects
    Blend knob

Rear panel:
    Speaker out jack
    Extension speaker jack
    Headphone out
    Effects Send/Receive
    Tuner Out/In
    XLR balanced output (w/ Line/Direct selector)
    XLR pad/Ground Lift

Size: 14.5"W x 24.5"H x 12.5"D
    Weight: 45 lbs.
    SN: 236 1725

Local Bay Area pickup only

Cash, USPS Money Order, PayPal, Venmo, Zelle accepted

1562.jpg

1560.jpg

1563.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Fred312b, scottm and mb94952 like this.
  2. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

No shipping!? :(

3. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    I was hoping to make it easy and keep it local but if you're interested I'm happy to figure out proper shipping for it. It's going to need to be double-boxed so I'd estimate around US$100 for materials, freight and insurance in the Lower 48. I can generate a quote if you're serious.

Fred312b likes this.
  4. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Wonderful playing! I really enjoyed that!

Who are the other players?

mb94952 likes this.
  5. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    Thank you! That is Brian Baggett on guitar and Luke Stone on drums and engineering.

mb94952 and LHbassist like this.
  6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    PM sent with trade offer. These are nice little combos for sure!

mb94952 likes this.
  7. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Hi Brad ! I just received ALL of the DoJo CD's in the mail today. Once I heard your youtube I was sold. I am a HUGE Holdsworth fan. You guys are AWESOME.
    I live in Petaluma and I'll seriously consider the amp. I own the head already.
    - Mike

funkytoe likes this.
  8. mb94952

Simply incredible playing and Luke is one HECK of an engineer. I can't wait to listen to these CD's in my car ! I am a huge fan of CD's. I hate downloaded stuff. So easy to lose. iTunes sucks. You have to use the EXACT SAME computer or it erases everything. I learned the hard way.

9. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    Hi Mike,

Wow, thanks for buying all of those! I only played on the first one but my friends who played on the later records are great players as well. I agree, Luke is so talented. He and I definitely inspired eachother to pursue multi-instrumentalism to a high level. He is also a very gifted on guitar, bass and keys. Quite a few of his albums feature him on every instrument.

I had been working in studios on both sides of the glass and did live sound a lot in addition to gigs on bass and guitar and we definitely learned a lot from eachother on the engineering side. He had the luxury of an entire house to track drums in and all the time in the world to get it exactly the way he wanted it. We still keep in touch and I've actually reached out to them to see about doing some recordings together at our respective studios.

On the topic of music playback, I have a RAID 5 array that stores all my music, ripped at FLAC, ALAC, or AIFF at 16/44 or above. If one of the four drives fails, I just get another and replace it, and it rebuilds itself. I just don't have room to store CDs. I use that space to store records. :D

I use Audirvana Plus as my playback software which also ports Tidal so I have HQ streaming capability in the dedicated player that prioritizes music playback and offers better SQ.

Let me know about the amp. I'm sure we can come to some agreement if you're on the fence about the price.

10. mb94952

Hi Brad !
    Well, the 1st CD that you linked is the only one I've listened to so far. :) But I look forward to listening to all the others. I bought extras to give a couple to friends.

As for all the recording jargon above like RAID, AFLAC, 16/44, etc, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. 'm assuming it's software, and I'm intimidated just thinking about it.

You are a great player and that SWR tone is my favorite, tied with my Mesa amps. I'm sure being on both sides of the glass gives you a unique perspective and foresight towards the project at hand.

Like I said, I own the Baby Blue II head. It's my #1 go to along with my Walkabout. I'll send you a PM regarding the amp. Thanks Brad !!
    - Mike

11. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

FLAC is a lossless codec or audio format which doesn't lose audio info like mp3.Roughly 1/2 the size of wave(PCM) format used on CDs. ALAC is the Apple version of FLAC. If you have a choice get the music ripped to FLAC or not all. Drives are so cheap nowadays. RAID is a redundancy scheme in case your hard drive or Solid State Drive fails. I would still back my music on another drive and recopy that backup at least every 5 years . because I've seen data just disappear. Do it with your photos as well and print really important ones on acid free paper.

16/44 . 16 bit 44.1 kHz, When Phillips decided on the bit depth and frequency . they deemed that this was enough to capture the audible spectrum. Many recorders now support 48 . or even 96 khz with 24 bit and music offered as HD audio is usually called 24/96. If you can encode it higher do that as well

Yes excellent band and recording. Thanks. SWR still sounds great even today.

Brad Maestas and mb94952 like this.
  12. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    **Now listed at $375**

As mentioned in the edited listing, the combo has developed a low-level hum that is a telltale sign of the need for new capacitors. Price lowered to reflect the cost of this routine servicing.

13. mb94952

I've been listening to DoJo pretty much non-stop !
    BUMP to your SWR !

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Brad Maestas likes this.
  14. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, California
    Thanks Mike. Glad you're liking the music!

The combo sold today to a local buyer.

mb94952 likes this.