1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1995 Fender Precision Cowpoke - new arrival

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    After negotiating for a few days, I took possession of this ole Cowpoke today. It needs some attention here and there and a good cleaning, but looks and plays like it will turn out to be a winner when I'm through rehabbing it. Came with a nice Fender gig bag and a Dunlop red flame strap. The pics are as it came to me. :)

NOTE: I've added new pics, descriptions etc. in another reply below. Check it out.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      232.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      197.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      251 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      242 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Jables, Tbone76, ericdanger13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Nice bass dude. I'm looking at one exactly like it. Have fun with the rehab. :bassist:

3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    How do these sound with the Kubicki pre amp in them?

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Since it needed some work, I've only briefly check it for functionality. What little I did play it, I was impressed with the sound. Actually better than I thought it would be. I'm starting the rehab just a little later today, so after a good cleaning, set-up, new strings and one bridge spring and bolt, I'll have time to do a more in depth workout.

BTW - This bass was toured with by Barry Hannibal, bassist/singer with the American Punk Rock Band Antiseen. He is a cousin of the seller. :)

5. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Cowpokes are my favorite. I have a black one and love it. I hope to get a white, sunburst and, red someday. Great find!

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    ? - the earlier 90's Jazz Plus and Precision Plus Deluxe did, but I don't think the cowpoke came w/the Kubicki pre. It does share the thinner headstock'd 22 fret neck and smaller body w/same control cover.

7. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Pretty sure I read that these came with the Kubicki preamp in them. But like anything gotta be careful with what you read. Seems to carry the same stacked knob configuration as the plus'es. Almost looks like a poor mans version of those with a guard, standard bridge no burst paint.

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I looked it up and it had a Fender 2-band pre. These basses were made in Mexico from '94-'96 right after Fender discontinued the US made Plus/Plus Deluxe series. ('90-'94)

When Phil was alive, he sold his preamp alone for more than what these basses usually sell for. I'm sure the cowpoke sounds really good, but the Kubicki preamp is what makes a Factor sound like a Factor. The Plus Deluxe series was Fenders premier bass just under the FCS when it was new.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Jio. So it is a Fender Pre and not a Kubicki Pre. Sounds like the only similiarity is that they have stack knobs and are 2 band.

10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Yes - Fender used the similar stacked pot set-up as the Kubicki (which picked up on Leo's original Jazz bass!) I've never played a cowpoke, but it has many of the same features as the Plus Deluxe series. I own a '93 Jazz Plus and love it not only for the Kubicki pre but for its 22 fret neck and nicely redefined/down-sized body. The cowpoke looks to be essentiality the same body and neck. I have a concurrent Plus Deluxe thread going if you want more info. http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender-plus-deluxe-club.1047869/

Oren - sorry for the sidetrack… I hope to play a cowpoke some day - enjoy your new red one!

11. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looks good in red! I had two sunburst Cowpokes. Interesting basses aesthetically... I always liked the old school pickguard.

That red with a white shell guard would be smokin hot!

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    The 'condensed' pg on the cowpoke always makes me think of a small breasted babe w/a tiny bikini top… nice! (I think this is ok to say as it celebrates the distraction, er focus…) :rolleyes:

seedokebass likes this.
  13. Really nice bass, I like the red body and black PG. I have always wondered about these basses but have never owned or played one. Rock it man!

14. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    No problems on hijacks and thanks for the compliments. This is my first Cowpoke. I've always thought that they were interesting looking, but had never played or even seen one up close till this one.

I've just completed the rehab. I took the entire thing apart and cleaned, tightened, replaced general items. I replaced a missing spring and screw for the G sting as well as the battery. Lubed and adjusted anything that could be. Polished the frets and cleaned and lubed the neck. Put new Fender 6150ML pure nickel roundwound 45-65-80-100's on. Adjusted the neck, string height and intonation. Played for about 5 minutes and declared that that was enough for now and can do some tweeking on it tomorrow. It now looks 100% better and plays100% better as well. I think I'm going to like it once up to speed.

I made some pics of the neck pocket, the neck heel, the end of the neck and the word underneath the pickup as well as a pot. Looks like we have 3 different dates of possible manufacture. The head has serial number MN537414 putting in 1995. The neck dugout had 3 March 1996. The neck pocket has 2 ENG 1996. A pot dated 45 week of 1994. Getting pretty sleepy after working on the thing this afternoon and evening. So some parting shots from the rehab and numbers.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      137.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  15. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      294.8 KB
      Views:
  17. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Wow that cleaned up nice!

18. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks TinIndian. It did better than I expected and is quite the looker. Also plays great as well!

19. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oren, had you noticed any play in the saddles on your Cowpoke?

One (possibly both of mine) had a lot of play in the saddles, like they didn't want to stay tight laterally.

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    seedokebass - I did see that happen. Once the new strings were installed and the intonation adjusted properly, the condition pretty much went away except for the G saddle. I pushed it in line and it's stayed that way so far. I just checked them again after playing it, they're now tight with no movement.