SOLD 1995 Ken Smith CR5--Zebrawood, Mahogany, Morado PRICE DROP LAST DAY $1900 SHIPPED

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mindwell, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Price:
    $1900
    Strings:
    Here is a very nice 1995 Ken Smith CR5 with Zebrawood top and back, Mahogany core, Morado board, and stainless steel hardware. Ken has confirmed this was a custom, in-house employee build, and it is rare, if not unique, for having a front-mounted jack plug rather than the usual lower bout mounting. The midrange control has been omitted, and the bass/treble/volume (passive pull)/balance are wired to the stock 9v preamp of that era. I'm the second owner, and while I have gigged the bass more than did the original owner, it has been well-cared for and maintained. The metal rotary knob in a couple of the pictures has been replaced with an OEM knob ordered direct from KSB.

Here is what Ken had to say on his forum in response to my inquiry:

"I don't remember the exact order other then he wanted the Mahogany Core thicker for the sound and I guess from these pictures, the bass drilled for the BMT (5 holes) but only the BT section (4 holes) of it so the Top jack could go it its place."

The specs are standard Smith: 34" scale, 1.75" nut, 18 mm bridge spacing. Oh, and three-piece maple neck and smaller black phenolic headstock. It's a great instrument that sounds, plays, and feels exactly like a Smith should. I estimate its weight at 10 - 10.5 lbs; not a feather, not a boat anchor. I purchased it without a case and am selling it the same way; also, am keeping the KS strap. It will, of course, be packed with utmost care. Read my feedback and purchase with confidence.

Here is some video of me noodling it through 2/3rds of an original Acoustic 360/361. The tone, at least, is great.

TERMS: $1900 shipped in CONUS. Payment through Paypal. Foreign transactions considered but with extra charges at my discretion, and will ship for declared value *only.*

ONLY POSSIBLE TRADE: a snarly, aggressive, above-average Rickenbacker 4001-4003 + cash.

And here are the pics. The woods are pretty choice. I think of her as a well-dressed Plain Jane.

CR5Copy640x480.gif

IMG_4244.gif
    Lowerboutresized.jpg

IMG_4252.gif

IMG_4253.gif

IMG_4255.gif

IMG_4256.gif

IMG_4262.gif

IMG_4265.gif

IMG_4258.gif

IMG_4247.gif
    Controlcavitydetail--resized.jpg
    Controlcavitycover--resized.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Proudly endorsing Dingwall

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but after owning and playing a ton of Smiths, I can say with certainty that the fingerboard on yours is morado, not ebony. The cr's usually didn't come with an ebony fb.

3. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    When I purchased it the seller said 'ebony,' but he was kind of an idiot, the streaks in the board look like those in pictures of morado, and reluctantly, I believe you are correct. So, morado it is. Listing and price (slightly) changed to reflect new information. Still a nice bass!

4. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    ON HOLD PENDING PAYMENT

5. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    This isn't surprising. Morado or not, still a killer bass. Best of luck!

mindwell likes this.
  6. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks, and truly, yes. I'm moving this to get myself a fretless Smith 5 down the line, and I have to say I'm now taking a second look at a Morado board. No lack of the high end 'ping' these basses produce.

7. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Morado is a fine fingerboard wood. My 94 bt6 had it as well as my bsr6mw and skjold. Beautiful to boot.

mindwell likes this.
  8. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    BASS IS BACK ON THE MARKET.

9. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Morado is the same as chechen, I believe. Or is it pau ferro?

10. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Morado=Pau Ferro.
    Chechen another species of rosewood, sometimes used on fretboards as well...

mindwell and songwriter21 like this.
  11. Morado = Pau Ferro = Bolivian Rosewood = I like this bass Bump..

12. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
  13. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Please let me know if this ever becomes available for trade!

mindwell likes this.
  14. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I've owned 2 Smiths with ebony boards. This fingerboard is Morado. Great bass. Makes me want a Smith... again!

mindwell likes this.
  15. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Well, you know, I might be able to help you out with that. :thumbsup:

16. jpeck02

jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    Gasp

17. I thought this was sold . No ?

18. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Loooooooooonnng story, but no, here it is once again.

19. How is the B string ?

20. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    It's strong. You can hear for yourself on the two clips posted above.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022