1996 MIM fender jazz bass, replacement pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by complexprocess, Mar 4, 2005.

1. This is probably a bit of a longshot, and I hope this is the right forum. I have a 1996 Fender Mexican Jazz bass, the kind with the one piece pickguard. I'd like to buy a replacement chrome plate and pickguard for it. I know there are a few different screw schemes for replacement parts. Does anyone know a source for direct screw in replacements, or will I have to fill and drill?

Here's an attachment in case you have no clue what I'm talking about. It is indeed a genuine Fender.

Attached Files:

• pg96.jpg
      File size:
      11.8 KB
  2. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    is that a squier?
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm thinking you'll have to fill and drill... The metal control plates have three screw holes and the pickguard will have two screw holes close to the control plate at the inverted 'V'... your pickguard has five screw holes in the 'control plate' area, and all of those are below the first volume knob... No problem with filling and drilling... once everything's mounted, you'll never know the difference...

4. That's what I thought. I was just hoping I could save the small amount of effort. Matchsticks and woodglue sound right? I can't keep up with all the latest trends in hole filling. :)

Truckin-It's a fender. As far as I know they made them like this for one year only, and it was purchased new in 1996. I guess they decided the increased ugly-factor wasn't worth the dollar or 2 they saved in production costs.
  5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I picked up one of these '96 MIMs a couple of weeks ago for the unheard of price of $75.00. The price was so low because the idiot previous owner had put a bunch of stickers on the (antique white) body, and the finish and the guard had darkened in the areas where there were no stickers. Same pickguard. I think they look kinda cool myself, in a color other than white/black/white.

Go to www.pickguards.com- they might have a replacement conventional guard that fits the same holes. I know they have a replacement "combo" guard/plate like this (I was looking for a replacement in a different color, not a traditional Jazz guard with the metal plate to be added, so I'm not sure if the guard you want is a perfect match for the holes or not) Also, Terrapin guitars (don't remember their web address) has them as well.
  6. Thanks a lot,
    I'll probably go with the standard config, but it's cool that they have the direct replacement as well. If I got a cool pattern (like snakeskin,) it would be cool to have more pickguard surface to show it off. I'm looking for black/white/black on a black bass, but maybe I'll keep two sets of holes so I can switch back and forth between a traditional 2 piece and a flashier one piece.