Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by granthoni, Feb 28, 2005.

1. granthoni

Jul 19, 2004
    Hi all!

I've recently purchased a 1996 Warwick Streamer LX5 from a person in Germany so I haven't received yet. I just wanted to know if they're comparable or better soundwise then the same bass but a more recent model like a 2002. I've tried a 2002 here with the Ovangkol neck and the bass sounded great anyways. The low B was hella thight and the response was even and very crisp and clear. Basically, I guess I'm just hoping the one I'll get will soon as good or better. It has the all wenge neck and the brass just-a-nut. It's a maple body with natural finish and it's looks in top condition even if it's almost 10 years old. So if anyone out there tried and older and a recent LX streamer please reassure me with this transaction :)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    It's a great bass, you'll be pleased.
    I once used to own a Streamer LX 4.

I wouldn't call it vintage.
    If we can use the word vintage coupled with Warwick, I would use it for a eighties one.

On the other hand the 3 pieces all wengé neck and the brass just-a-nut are nice plus of your upcoming bass.

And take care of theat good lucking oil finished instrument, keep it waxed!
  3. richmoore1998

Sep 11, 2006
    Niagara, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, D'Addario Strings, Planet Waves
    Back in 1996 I had a 5-string bass being built by Fred Gabrsek of Freddy's Frets up here in Niagara (Canada) - as far as the look of it I fell in love with the Streamer design so we emulated that look. I've never had the pleasure of playing one. Having said that... my Freddy bass is amazing. It's the "Go-to" bass for recording even when AB'd with my Music Man or Fender... would love to take a Streamer for a spin.
  4. Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Only question is...why are you calling it vintage?
  5. 20-25 years= Vintage i think. could be wrong.
    I'm not into Warwicks, but that looks pretty sweet.
  6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Why did Warwick stop using the adjustable Brass nut? They're great!

That's a nice hunk of maple- I have an old '97 Corvette Pro Line in natural maple. Solid, 2 piece body (looks like yours is too!). It had a little figuring to it. I stripped & wet sanded it down a little over a year ago and refinished it in boiled linseed oil then wax - the grain totally snapped out!
  7. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    In one word?Evolution.
    All of the just a nut's by Warwick are adjustable.
    The original brass just a nut is still available,& one of the more expensive nuts available.
    The JAN 2 came along,made from a superior material called Wilferite.Warwick developed this material,a carbon graphite.But this nut had one major design flaw.Side retainer tabs that would snap off easily,but the nut still performed fine.It just fell off when all the strings were removed.
    The JAN 3 is the latest version,made from Tedur,another carbon graphite material.A pin & hole design did away with the side tabs.
    A new,all brass/alloy JAN 3 will be released in the near future for those that prefer brass.
  8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    That's good to hear. I really like how the open strings on my 'Wick ring like a fretted note. Those 'tabbed' nuts always looked flimsy. I have a hard time believing they were a result of an attempt at "improving" on the original brass nut. They looked (and proved to be) flimsier than the original. At least the brass nut is an option.