SOLD 1997 Fender Stu Hamm Urge I - Medium Scale - PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mikeowen17, Feb 10, 2018.

1. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have the 'Urge' for a pre-CBS Jazz Bass, so I have to shift a few things to get some cash for it.

Up for sale is this awesome Montego Black Stu Hamm Urge I from 1997. In great condition with cool 'snakeskin' OHSC and all case candy. I added a Hipshot D-Tuner which I will include along with the original. I also added Dunlop dual design strap locks and will include the extra (white) pick guard that the bass came with.

Unfortunately when I purchased it one of the J pickups had died, so I replaced both J pickups with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 'Weather Report' pickups ($250) which sound amazing (better than the original in fact). I will include the functional J pickup that I removed with the purchase too. One other quirk of this bass is that, in the middle position (all pickups on) the blend control for the J pickups does not pan between the 2 pickups - but it does in the J pickup only position - so everything is clearly working. Not sure if this is a quirk of the Kubicki preamp, but I always figure more disclosure is better than less.

Below are the pics from the listing I purchased the bass from - I can take more if needed.

$1200 ..... price drop $1,000 shipped - no trades unless it is a pre-CBS Jazz Bass!

r3j9feioyme05zi3mb7n.jpg rus3q3ig4fiskn1gttki.jpg wcgy2xzs0zzkzs3uuxs7.jpg zl3tkfmyr7kyltvvwrry.jpg khc3v5jqtccp4lsnxi46.jpg s7pacu79jq2g49xpl17o.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    GLWTS! I have a late-80s/early 90s one of these in Sherwood Green Metallic that I absolutely love. The Urge Basses are getting harder to find!

3. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks! I’m definitely not against keeping it - it’s such a cool bass! But an old J bass keeps calling my name!!

4. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Beautiful! How much does she weight? I do have a 1962 Jazz bass i was considering moving...

5. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Using the highly unscientific bathroom scale method she comes out between 7.8 and 8lbs

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    SCHWEEET!! pity it's a Rosewood fretboard (CITES) :(

7. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Actually, it’s a Pau Ferro board on this one!

steelbed45, mikewalker and selowitch like this.
  8. jlaudin

jlaudin Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    How much fret wear is evident? Will it need a re fret soon? Any dings or chips?

9. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Hi - I took a look over the frets again last night, there is plenty of life left in them. There are no chips or major dings on it - just some usual playwear (eg light swirling from clothing on the back). It is in excellent condition!

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Just by way of testimony, I bought one of these on TB about a year ago and I just love mine. Super comfortable and fun to play with lots of tonal variety.

11. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Bump - taking $100 off!

12. Just curious if the lack of J pickup sweep with all pickups is normal for these basses or if that's something that should be functioning and may have to be looked at? Honestly, I'd keep both on anyway, just curious.

13. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    I’m not 100% sure - as this is the only one I’ve owned of this model. It never posed an issue for me, but want to make sure the buyer has all the info!

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The bottom section of the stacked pot nearest the neck is a pan control between the two J pickups. Are you saying that the pan control only functions when the two J pickups are operating (when the three-way switch is in the lowest position) and the P pickup is not? That would mean that only when the three-way switch is in the middle (all pickups on) position does the pan control function at all.

15. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    Yes - that is correct

selowitch likes this.
  16. mikeowen17

mikeowen17

Jan 28, 2011
    NYC
    SOLD! Pending payment

mikewalker and selowitch like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021