1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1997 Warwick Corvette 5 String Fretless-German Made-Wenge!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by engedi1, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    It breaks my heart to do it, but economic hard times are forcing me to sell my beloved Warwick. As you can see from the pic with the serial number, this dates from 1997, back when Warwicks were awesomer. This is the real German made product, and it is as solid as a tank. Weighs EXACTLY 10 lbs per the bathroom scale. Has recessed straplocks.

Regarding the neckwood, I have received two difference answers from two different Warwick officials. One says it is Ovangkol, the other says Wenge. Since it is clearly two different woods, I believe it is both with Wenge being the wings, Ovangkol in the middle. The body is bubinga. The electronics are the GOLD active MEC pickups, with the 2 band EQ. This is a HUGE improvement over the passive MEC pickups, IMHO. I have played many fretless Corvette standards with the passive electronics, and was never sold on them. This one is different, the quality wood and active pickups make a huge difference. It has the most growl, and mwah, and sustain of any fretless I have ever played, excepting maybe Pedualla Buzz basses that cost $2500 more than this baby. It also has the capability to get very punchy tones with the back pickup and good technique, as well as warm singing tones. This bass features an ebony fingerboard with maple lines. The lines are more of a reddish tint than white, and are less obvious, but still clearly visible.
    The condition is excellent, 9.5 out of 10. This bass has exactly 1 flaw. One tiny chip on the bottom of the bass which I captured pretty well on the pic. Outside of that, the condition is flawless. Not bad for a 15 year old bass. Comes with a new TKL case that is only a few months old and has seen 0 gigs. In excellent condition as well.
    I need to sell this quickly, my price is $750, OBO. Paypal only, unless you can meet me locally with the cash of course. Shipping is $30 CONUS, OR Canada. I am not looking to ship to Europe or Asia at this time.

Attached Files:

2. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Headstock

Attached Files:

3. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    The neck.

Attached Files:

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is one of the best mass produced fretless basses ever. Good luck with the sale.

5. From my phone I vote *all-wenge neck*... never seen ovangkol & wenge in the same Warwick neck

6. firefighta115

firefighta115 Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Texas (close to Houston)
    Phil Jones Bass, ZON basses, Darkglass Electronics, La Bella Strings
    +1 on the all wenge neck... If its a 97, it most likely has a wenge neck. They started using ovankol on the 'Vettes in 99. Oh and these are some of the best sounding and playing fretless basses around. Killer deal too. GLWTS...

7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Its quite hard to tell by those pictures, if you can take a clearer shot we can tell you for certain ...but here is a picture of a wenge neck with ovangkol stringers. Thanks!

[​IMG]

8. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks for the tips guys! I thought it was all Wenge, but I was confused by someone else at Warwick who suggested it was Ovangkol. Really breaks my heart to sell it, as I may not see one like it for a long time again. It is amazing how much sustain you get on low C on the B string.

9. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I had a fretted 97 , ive had a few wicks since then and many other high end basses , i gotta admit i still think about that bass! Those were the last of the high quality wicks , after 99/2000 things seemed to change for the worse.

GLWS

10. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Until the last few years ;)

We've made great strides in the last four years, to be sure things don't happen like they did in that era...where there was some hit and miss. We've cut production, tripled the time we spend on each instrument, and instated a quality control regimen that we are very proud of. Quality and consistency is at an all-time high...and we feel today that we are making the best basses in our history!

Enough derailment, somebody buy this bass!!

11. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Too bad it's fretless, I want to get my hands on one like that in a fretted model. That is definately a Wenge neck.

Bump! GLWTS!

12. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Hey, a refret would only run you $150. Still a good deal! Then you would have new frets. You would probably need to refret a 15 year old bass anyway... Just saying.

13. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Received two PM's, replied to both.

14. engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    deal pending payment...

15. engedi1