1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1998 Music Man Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verycoolname, Mar 10, 2013.

1. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    I was just browsing around eBay looking at basses and saw this listing. The first thing I noticed was the finish, which I personally find quite awesome. I'm no expert on Stingray basses (I've never owned one, only played a few in stores) and I was only about 2/3 years old when this particular model came out, so I'm looking on any details regarding the specs of this bass, because the seller wasn't exactly clear in their ad...maybe that's why no one has bid on it.

Or maybe it's just because the guy used Comic Sans :bag:

$(KGrHqN,!rEFEJ19cBolBRNr0H2OKg~~60_57.

2. looks like a regular late '90s Stingray in transparent teal finish, with 3 band EQ. Looks nice.

3. +1 - quite a popular colour and looks cool.

If you get the serial number and post in the serial numbers thread on the EB Musicman bass forum, they'll give you the DOB, colour and original specs - thus helping check authenticity.

4. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Had this exact same bass but with a transparent pickguard. If not for a 72 Jazz bass that became available I'd still own it. Great instrument and one of the few that I actually bought brand new. I don't see this color so much anymore, but I'd love to have another.

5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    IIRC a 98 should have the old style larger bridge with string mutes on the Stingray.... But i could be wrong.. My 97 had the larger bridge with mutes...

6. DIscontinued as a new colour option two or three years ago IIRC.

7. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
  8. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Thanks for the feedback so far. It looks like a nice bass...the auction ends in two days, not sure if I'll place a bid until I get more info though.

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    I bet that looked sweet!

10. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I also had similar,with white pup cover. lovely bass and best StingRay I ever had. It was 2007 model with compensate nut.
    I know you guys adore pics,so...
    P4110150.

11. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Based on the comments made by owners of similar models it sounds like a pretty good bass...I'm still skeptical about buying it without playing it first, especially since the seller doesn't accept returns. :help:

12. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    why would he accept returns?

13. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Only reason I could think of is if the bass isn't fully functional/"too good to be true." Like I said, I'm no expert on Stingrays, so I'm not sure if the $800+ I'd spend on the bass would be worth it. I'd never return a bass on personal preference, because that's not the sellers fault, but if something was wrong with the bass (bad electronics etc.) I'd like to be able to have that option.

Then again, he has a 100% satisfaction rating, so it seems like everything will be in working order based on his past auctions.

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No, '95 was the last year with string mutes. Lovely bass; I had a lefty '96 in that color.

15. $800 is a good price for a Stingray, assuming everything works and it's not beat up.

16. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Okay, you've definitely got me sold on it now. It has only a few minor dings on it, and I assume the electronics work (I haven't played it, but the guy has a good eBay reputation).

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Great finish, and $800-$850 would be a fair price.

18. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Thanks for the input; the more replies this is getting the more GAS I'm getting. I've always wanted a Stingray, and for $811 it's almost too good to pass up on...

19. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    Price sounds good, they are out there for that price mainly because the multi pickup stingrays have seemed to brought the single H rays down a bit on the used market, but I have 4 SR4s, all singe Hs and don't mind a bit that I only have a single pickup, it's the only one I need... Pickguard looks like it might be wood? not original but no big deal. great quality on these basses from all years, I wouldn't have a problem buying a stingray I haven't played as long as it doesn't look abused which this one doesn't.

20. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    There's a stingray in that color in the seattle craigslist. The one pictured in this thread olmost looks like it has a gold anodized pickguard like a 57 Pbass.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/3627422026.html
    I have no relation to this seller or bass at all. Just posted it for referance.