1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1998 Warwick Streamer LX 5 w/ wenge neck & Stage II electronics

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by HamOnTheCob, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all, here are some pics:

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/jacobhmoore/1998 Streamer LX 5/

$950 shipped in the 48 states. I've listed it on eBay with a steeper Buy It Now, so if it sells on there before someone on here wants it, it'll no longer be available.

Now for a description:

This one is my baby. I've had about every configuration of Warwick, whether it's MusicMan pickups, Jazz pickups, P pickups, active, passive, 4, 5, 6 strings, wenge neck, ovankol neck, etc etc, and although of the 17 Warwicks I've owned, most have been sold or traded not terribly long after acquiring them in my quest for the perfect bass, this one was my 4th Warwick and it has been with me through all the rest.

It has the sought-after wenge neck and fingerboard, Just-A-Nut II adjustable composite nut, maple body, dual J MEC Gold pickups, recessed straplocks, chrome hardware, and the standard 2-band EQ has been upgraded to a BEC-III 3-band EQ out of a Streamer Stage II (cost me around $150). I'll look to see if I still have the old electronics and if I do, I'll throw those in as well.

The only thing about the upgrade is that when I got the electronics, they didn't have knobs, and since one of the pots is stacked and the original electronics had 4 non-stacked knobs, I didn't have a stacked knob set for the volume/pickup blend pot. Since I always kept the pickups blended evenly and didn't use my volume knob, I never bothered to get a knob set for the pot. The controls can still be operated with your fingers though, and knobs can be purchased from Warwick for around $20 I think for both parts of the stacked pot. I understand that you're probably figuring "this should take a bit off the price" but I've already considered that, so if I had to go through the process of ordering the knobs and getting them sent to me, I would've added that cost on to my price. This way, if you need the knobs, you can pay for them, but if you don't find them necessary, you can save a few bucks. If the knob situation is a deal-breaker, I apologize, and I wish we could do business, but I have never needed to worry about it for my own purposes and I don't have time to worry about it for someone else.

The bass plays very well, and has always been set up professionally by an extremely meticulous guitar tech for quick low action. Right now the bass is set up with a high C instead of a low B (so low to high it's tuned EADGC). This has been my #1 bass for years, and for my melodic playing style (I play mainly chords as opposed to the typical thumping rhythm), it has suited me better than any other I've tried. I can e-mail sound clips to anyone who wants them.

I know I've said this about most of my other basses, but I really honestly can't believe for a second I'm actually selling this bass. The reason: Out of loyalty to Hambone and his work, I'm going to switch from Warwicks to Hambone Custom Basses. I've had nearly 20 Warwicks and I will always stand by them as outstanding bass guitars. I'm not giving them up because I don't like them or because they aren't good enough, I'm simply trying to support my friend in his building efforts. This bass was my 4th Warwick, and it has been maintained in my stable until now even when other basses were sold or traded. The bass is practically part of me, and it's going to seem odd not having it around. If the price seems high, maybe it is. I don't want to sell the bass! haha

As I mentioned, the stacked pot is missing a knob, and that is the only issue I can think of with this bass. There is a small nick in the plastic on the trussrod cover, and the bass has normal playing wear such as indentations above the pickups where a thumb would rest. Nothing you wouldn't find on almost any bass that's nearly 10 years old. The output jack has crackled on me once or twice, but I think it was because the cable I use is old and made a little funny. There are no cracks in the wood anywhere, and the neck is straight and true. The bell brass frets are in great condition, as are the nut and bridge. The body is made of maple and doesn't have a stain on it, so it's just plain maple color. I've considered having it stained a chocolate color, but I've always been concerned that it would change the amazing sound of the bass. The good thing is, if it's something you ever want to do, you can have it stained without the extra cost of having an existing finish stripped. The maple has a beautiful aged look. The bass is listed in the Orion Bluebook for over $1400, and that's without the electronics upgrade. I think the new price on these is around $2400. Obviously the market value is lower than the book value, but for the money I spent on this bass used plus the money I spent on the electronics and having them installed, this is about what I need to get in order to not feel like I lost my shirt on my favorite bass. If you feel the need to haggle, drop me a line with your best offer.

I'm not looking for anything else unless you want to trade a 1970 or older Triumph motorcycle (here is a pic of my 70 Tiger 650 in case you like old bikes: http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/jacobhmoore/Bikes and Such/Tiger_10x8_02.jpg), so please no trade offers.

Drop me a PM for questions or comments.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    PM sent!

3. Replied.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its on like donkey kong :hyper:

5. Sale is pending to Pickles... just awaiting a money order in the mail. Thanks brother.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.