Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1998?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I just saw the banner up at the top of this site; "Uniting the low end sence 1998." catchy... what was TB like when it first started?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    ZING!

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey guys talkbass sucks now :cool:

5. I haven't even seen any user names that have "1998" in them, did that change, or is nobody around from that time?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How would you know?

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I wasn't around at the time. I joined sometime soon after I believe. But I believe there was a crash/server error on the original software and the "old TB" was lost, along with all user information and such. At lesat that's what I've been able to piece together about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (personally I think it was an overload of carrots)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The oldest member dates are from December 1999. The original profiles were lost when Lump crashed the server.

9. Who is Lump, and how did he crash the server? I am being serious even if you are not, I can't tell, :)

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Lol! I didn't know Lump did it. :D

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was on the old board for a few months, then went away. Came back to the new board.

It was much quieter back then. Never more than 100 users active at a time, and 200 new posts per day was doing good.

It was pleasant...

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

It really started going downhill in 2001. :smug:

Seriously, When I joined, new posts were few and far between and everybody knew when a new member joined. Some forums were unmoderated (!) and all you had to do to be a mod was volunteer.

13. :D
    Yeah, I heard things started to suck after one of the moderators met Yoko...

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was definitely around at that time - but it was very different - the only people I remember from then are JimK and CS - plus Paul used to post in actual discussion topics rather than just about admin things!! ;)

I went through two or three versions of the board where we lost all the previous posts and had to start again from scratch - so I would probably be up to about 20k posts by now!! :eek:

I remember that it was more like Paul's personal site and as he is a DB player it seemed to be much more geared to Double Bass players - so it seemed like there were more DB players than BG - which was good for me as I was just starting to try to play Jazz and there were lots of people to give advice - so there was an "Ask The Pros" forum with a Jazz DB player (can't remember his name) and I asked him loads of questions about Jazz theory although a lot of these actually got answered by Ed Fuqua!! ;)

I remember that I found it through the FDP (Fender site) and there were people there who knew about TB and recommended it as it was more about Theory, Music, Jazz etc. rather than being primarily gear-oriented as the FDP was!! Hard to believe now - looking at how gear-obsessed TB is now!! :)

I know I was here in 1998 as it was in July 98 that I went to my first Jazz Summerschool and was desparate for Jazz Theory knowledge then and TB helped me out a lot!!

15. hhhmmmm... was there more advice or something back then? how did it go downhill? wat did it go downhill from? :confused:

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Basically in 1998 - 2000, it was mostly older guys who didn't need moderation and were generally on the same wavelength - but gradually it got over-run by more and more kids!!

Damn those pesky kids!! ;)

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess that Blackbird's post was a little too subtle for ya.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Brendan- i wouldn't know from 1998.. but everyone would agree that TB 2004 is much different than TB 2001..

then yes the board got over run by people trying to be cool and funny... some older members left because the TB spark wasn't there anymore... just kids

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah, that's "how TB was". But this is, "how TB is".

I have no complaints.

20. I was one of the inaugural members of another forum that started off around 1998. About 12 or so of us split off another forum and it snowballed from there. Round about a year ago a bunch of people started yammering about how cool it was in the "good old days" when it was just "the Dirty Dozen" and yadda yadda (funny thing was I didn't remember a lot of those guys). It was just smaller, you knew everybody, an entirely different animal. 12 users vs. 1200 users. Neither is better or worse, just different.

This is a really kicka*s forum, appreciate what you have, appreciate the members for what they bring to the plate and contribute what you know.