Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1999 MIM Fender Jazz VS MIM Fender Active Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Transverz, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got a decision...please help!

At about the same price, I'm trying to decide between these two basses:

1999 MIM Fender Jazz
    White on cream
    Almost brand new

or

MIM Fender Jazz Active Deluxe
    Black
    Kept in good condition, used, not abused
    Unknown year (haven't seen the serial yet)

Eh? :eyebrow:

The 1999 is supposed to be a good year for that MIM bass and the white on cream is supposed to be sorta uncommon for that bass...is this true?

Will the Jazz Active Deluxe be so superior in tone and features that it would shame the regular Jazz? Could the regular Jazz catch up to the active deluxe with the right upgrades? (of course without spending tons of $$$)

Confused! At the same price, what would be better? Why? Any insight on any of these basses? I might end up selling some stuff and get both just to know I made the right decision!

*and sorry B83 but I can't help but ask for opinions!*

Thanks!

-Transverz

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If you get a chance I would say play both! see which one you like better. both basses will feel the same in your hands but sound completely different. The standard bass is just that- standard. The dlx bass has the pre-amp and MIA electronics that sound pretty good. you will get more tonal variations from the MIM dlx bass. As far as 99 being a good year for MIM jazzes keep in mind the pups on that jazz are the same length. That means any pup change you will have to route the rear pup cavity to install new aftermarket pups.

3. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

look, basses are in a way like wine, in another way they are not. There's hardly ever "good" or "bad" years for basses. There are bad decades and good decades, and even now the bad decades are turning great with age (70s, for example).

Okay, now to answr your question. If you bought the st jazz, an upgrade would probably consist in getting new pickups and probably a preamp. While the preamp is not amazing, it does sound pretty decent. Get the deluxe and you are all set.

Anyway, i would base my decision on the quality of the neck: get the best neck.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Go wih the 1999 MIM Jazz unless you really want that Activeness.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Play both and use your ears. Get the one that has that sound , you will know it when you play it. I find that I am really liking active basses for their tonal variety, yet there are basses (my precision) that just have that special sound perhaps the '99 is that bass for you. But play both and see which one has that spark.

Dan

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks all...I think I may get both and try them out for myself, as most stated. I do like the Standard for it's simplicity and straight up plug and rock. I played one at the store today and it was fun having such a roundish and trebely if I needed sound. Plus it was so different having a more robust bass in my hand, relative to my Ibanez. Was cool! I see where they say if you run one pickup only it hums. Weirdo! But not enough to make me dislike it.

And then if one is totally better (or if the standard can fill my tone needs without the active) than off one of the basses go! Both look to be in great condition.

Are there any suggested pickups that I can pop into my standard Jazz to make it ever closer to a humbucker but still retain those nice Jazz qualities? Or any Jazz pickup upgrade suggestions for that matter? I'm guessing I would have to stick with passive pickups for the Standard. Would installing an active set require major work for a battery compartment? Is that the only difference between the Standard and the Deluxe Active? So many questions...any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-T

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey dude,
    The hum you hear with one pup on is 60hz cycle hum. All jazz basses (passive that is) do this! when both pups are turned up to the same volume this dissappears. You can shield the pup cavity to silence this problem which is caused by lights, dimmer switches, tv monitors and even dirty wiring in bldg's. As for pup changes in the standard bass, that bass has the same size pup front and back. This means most after market pups won't fit the rear pup cavity without slight routing. As for a active conversion you could go with a "J Retro" pre- amp or get an outboard Aguilar DB924 pre-amp. The retro should be a drop in replacement. If you should go with the standard bass just play it for a while without any changes, you might like how it sounds as is.