Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

19mm too wide for sixer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Jul 29, 2004.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I was wondering what people thought on a 19mm sixer. I have played TRB's before even the TRB-JP. Are the TRB's 18mm or 19mm? I remember the JP was HUGE (maybe 20mm?). Also I played an Roscoe SKB3006 and I liked it quite a bit, but I noticed it was tighter than the yamaha. I've also played the Cirrus 6 but found it was too tight for me. Also if anyone know what the width is at the nut on a TRB6? (I'm looking for all these specs for my custom sixer) Thanks!

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I prefer 19mm on all my personal basses.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My FBB 6-string fretless is 19mm.
    No problem playing.
    I prefer 19mm 0n all my basses.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Don't Warwick offer 20mm spacing on their Thumb BN models??

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Yep, Warwick's BN's are 20mm.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    String spacing is definately a subjective thing. I had always used 19mm spacing on my sixes. Recently I got a Roscoe six and the 18mm spacing is quite nice. I never thought that I'd like it. Honestly, it's more the width of the fingerboard with the 18mm spacing that I like. The thing is that every time I play a bass with a full 19mm spacing at the bridge after I play my Roscoe it just feels right with the wider spacing. So, that's what I'll go back to.

I'm almost positive that the TRB's are 19mm but they do look like more for sure.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My 6 string ABG is a monster with 20mm spacing. It's a very intimidating looking bass, but I don't have any problem playing it. Part of that is the fact that the body is 6 1/2" deep so it helps put it out where my wrist doesn't get damaged.

8. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    my six string roscoe will have 19mm spacing

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Ibanez BTB 6 stringers are 17mm fwiw...

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am not sure what the spacing is for sure on the F Bass BN6 that I just got is, but it is substantially wider than the spacing on my Modulus Quantum 5. I don't think it is too wide at all though, actually, I think I am going to like the wider spacing, especially for slap.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    AFAIK F-Bass spacing is 19mm.

My Hanewinckels are 17.5 which is just right.

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think it depends on the bass, but in general (for me anyway), the wider the better. That is, as long as it doesn't make the bass too heavy and/or create neck dive. My MPG-6 has 19mm, and it's quite comfortable:

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, then no, 19mm is not too wide for a 6er. :D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All of my sixes except the Contrabass are 19mm. The Fodera is probably 21mm. I find the wider spacing far less constricting.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think 19mm is fine for a 6 string. As long as you use a form of floating thumb perhaps, I would think that if you ALWAYS keep your thumb anchored on a pickup, the reach to the higher strings would be uncomfortable? Prove me wrong, id like to know.

16. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    19 mm isn't bad if you're....
    E.T. the Extra Terrestrial! :bag: ;)
    Seriously, I had a Cote 6 string that was 19 mm, and as long as your thumb would float to mute, it was fine!
    FWIW, I played a Yamaha JP6, and I dug it.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's an option that you can order from Keith. I played an older Roscoe recently with the 19mm string spacing and it was even more comfortable than my bass.

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Why not 32 mm?
    Or 15 mm?

I always used to play Fender distance, which is 19-20 mm, 'til a couple of years ago. 6 strings could make a bit of a stretch, but if you just let the thumb float, it's OK.

OTOH, my SUBurban LoW is 17,5 mm, and I feel less could do as well! It's more a matter of technique, than anything else.
    (OK, there may be a few with thick fingers out there...)

19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    My Yamaha TRB-6P has 19mm string spacing. Love it. Anything less feels squishy to me. You should see me try to play a guitar these days. Impossible.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It would be no less a matter of technique to have difficulty with a wider width;)

I think it's less a matter of technique and more about comfort in my case as far as narrow spacing. I can play 16mm or even less but if I were to try and reach between the string, even though I play with a light touch, it rips my cuticles up when I pop. No thanks.

I haven't found that this necessarily has anything to do with "thick" fingers. I know loads of average-fingered bassists who like 19mm spacing.

It took a while but a lot of builders finally got out of the "take a 4 string-width neck and add another string" mindset. Building a neck that allows comfortable access with 19mm spacing isn't all that hard.

Given a choice between strings hitting the backs of my fingers and not, I choose not every time;)