1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

19mm vs 20mm String Spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Sto, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Matt Sto

Matt Sto

Jan 26, 2009
    I'm sure there are plenty of threads already on this subject, but I'm posting this anyways.
    I'm building my first bass, and I'd like some advice on whether to go 19 or 20mm string spacing. I've never really payed much attention to the string spacing on basses I play, so I don't really know the difference. But anyway, I'd like to hear your input on the subject, pros, cons, advantages with different playing styles, etc.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Both of those are uncomfortably wide for me. 16 or 17mm is more to my liking

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what kind of pickups are going in it? vintage jazz pickups, for example, need the wider spacing if you want the strings to line up between the magnets like they're supposed to.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I went from 17mm spacing to 19mm and I prefer 19mm, personally.