Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1k heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 19, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok guys still rethinking my rig, but I'm getting closer and closer to finding stuff I like everyday.

Anyways, I was doing some calculating, and 6$ is about minimum wage around here where I live.

So I did all the calculating and got that if I saved up for about 6-7 months I'd have around 2500-3000$.

Thats if I don't spend any of it which wont happen, bday present,xmas and food on occasions.

I know that there are GREAT heads out there for less than 1000$.
    The kustom groove bass comes to mind along with a peavey max 700(firebass), and a gk 1001-RBI II.

There are also pre+power set ups. Which are cool, but I'm again trying to keep it simple, if I've got a 8 space rack and I've got every space in it filled, and say I get a short or something goes wrong, I have to go through everything to find it.

With a simple head I could just take it back to the shop or whatever. Not to mention it would be alot lighter than a power amp+pre+power conditoner all in a rack.

Some of the heads that come to mind are the thunderfunk tfb550 I'd really like to snatch one of these up so if anyone has any experiance with it or the tfb420 model chime in and tell me how great it is in a band setting and on stage. Theres also the eden WT 800, and ampeg stuff (but ampeg is kind of last resort)
    Theres the AI clarus, EA-IAMP800, the SM series from SWR, mesa bass 400+ mpulse 600, big block 750 loads of stuff to choose from.

I'd most likely be getting a schroeder cab too, so it will sound good. The 410 is looking good but if I've got enough dough save up I wanna get a 1210 and a 1212.

I know the best way to do this is to just go and try stuff out. Last time I checked my two local dealers one of them had a peavey max 700 head in and some hartke stuff :spit:

The other store had some ampeg stuff, I remember seeing a b2r :meh: but thats about it, they also had an old workingman 4004 but thats an alright head they had it marked for 400$ new.

What do you guys think, am I on the right track?

Thanks for all the help!

-Rob