1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1rst 5er

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    so, my 2 main basses need some work. decided to get a cheap 5 string to see if i could get the hang of it, or if it wasn't for me. a lot of the music i like and want to play (ska, funk, + more). my 5er is a dean edge 1 or 5. don't remember. the neck is more flat than round, whitch is new for me, but no problems. just curious on somer of the 5er only trickz. thanx

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Well, the only 5-string only tricks I am aware of are an additional 5 notes, usually below the open E string.

3. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    No real tricks. Just knowing that you can go down to the B is enough for most players. Having that low D for rock or country or Eb for jazz and gospel is a huge advantage in terms of preserving the direction of your lines.

One trick you might want to consider is using position play for things that you would normally play open. So instead of outlining a descending Dm9 arpeggio (D-C-A-G-F) using the open A and D strings, you can play it in fifth position. Because the strings are thicker and you're giving them less room to vibrate, it changes the sound around a bit.

4. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    Most people say that the 5th string is a great thumb rest, but you can get some really interesting tones by playing higher on the neck on the B string-- A is the 10th fret, and has a completely different tone then A on the 0th fret.