1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1st-4th fret doesn't produce sound..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by llapse, May 10, 2006.

1. llapse

llapse

May 10, 2006
    philippines
    im using a jazz bass right now.. but my 1st-4th fret doesn't produce a sound or an annoying sound (rattling i think?) and i saw my strings really attached/close
    to the fret board.. what will i do? thanks in advance for the help..:)

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    not trying to be rude but the way you're asking kind of makes me think it would be best to have a pro look at it, and maybe when he's doing it ask him if he'll give you some tips on how to make some slight adjustments if necessary in the future.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The action is too low. Try raising it, that should fix the problem. If you don't know how to fix the action, I think you can find it in the stickied FAQ thread.

Graeme

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Also, you may want to loosen the truss rod; its what I did on my Ibanez when the first 4 frets buzzed insanely.

If you do though, no more than 1/4 turns a day.

5. Backbow - the truss rod needs to be loosened. That's the obvious one that stands out right now. Especially if raising the action doesn't alleviate the problem.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yup, if it buzzes below the 5th fret it is usually too much backbow. Loosen the truss rod. If it buzzes above the 12the fret you need to tighten the truss rod. If it is properly adjusted you should get buzzing all over the neck if you lower the strings until they start buzzing. Then just raise the strings until they stop.