Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st bass....help me out....:)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HappyMikey, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Hey guys,just signed up for the forum,my name's Mikey,I'm almost 16 (3 weeks,lol) and I am seriously thinking of getting a bass.

This is what I'm considering getting:
    http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg....dirpage=dir2&eflag=0&curitempos=1&numitems=20

Not a bad price and I heard that Fenders are the good stuff so what do you all think?

Do you think I'm too old to start playing? I don't think so but a few of my bassist friends told me so...

Well I guess that's that,any responses mucho appreciated.;)

P.S.My fav. bassist:Jason Newsted (been a fan of his for a looong time and saw him live last night).

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, if you want a good first bass, get an Essex

They are distributed through www.rondomusic.com and are the best bang for the buck you'll find.

Many can attest to it, and there are quite a few threads on it.

3. Price sorta is an issue and I get an Amp with this one...think I can get an Essex and a Amp for 300$?

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    don't listen to them. nobody is too old to start playing, as many here can tell you.

Fender or Essex would be your best bet I think.

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    You may land on a nice Squier...you may not. Essex are much more consistent. You could probably find an amp with the $150 left over. Anything that might be left over from that, I would put into lessons.
    16 is definitely not too late.
    Good luck and welcome to TB

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I've played two very decent Squier...and the rest...
    As for Essex, I've only played 3, granted, but they played nicely for that price range.

7. Wow...thanks a lot guys....

As for the local thing yeah I guess I could but I don't want to go to a store and not even know what I'm looking for since I'm ultra new to the bass world so I guess online would be more convenient since even if I would want to buy locally I don't have the time with my current work-school-schedule so I see buying online much more convinient.

You guys really think lessons are a good idea? Awesome I guess I'll sign up for some,I read at a few places that self teach was alot better but if lessons are the way to go I will.

Thanks again,TalkBass rocks! :)

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Bienvenido a TB

hope you find your path into the ligth side of the bass..... (although, the dark side rules):cool:

9. Hey Mikey, 16 is definitely NOT too old, like everyone before me has just said. I started playing bass when I was 16 and.. oh wait, I still suck! :D

10. Allright so that Fender package is out of the question...I narrowed it down to 2 Essex'es...but one is a 4 string and the other is a 5 strong so I don't know what to do...

The 4 string is cheaper but is kinda looks cheesy and cheap and just isn't a nice one to look at,but the 5 string is beatiful,a little bit more expensive,but it's a 5 string.

Is it a good idea for my first bass to be a five string? Will it make it harder on my general learning experience? Is there are alot of pros/cons to owning the 5 string over the 4?

Thanks again.

11. uh oh....looks like the start of another 4 and 5 string battle

12. I just want to know if the 5 string is ALOT harder to learn...

13. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    if you plan on slapping alot, the extra string will get in the way sometimes. Other than that, not harder, just takes getting used to. You said you were into Jason Newsted, so maybe the extra string will come in handy for heavier stuff.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, just go with the squier pack.

If you get an essex, you will get a slightly better bass, but then you are gonna have to get an amp, strap, chord, tuner, bag, etc...

And buying all of that seperatly will be more than $300.

The squier is the better option for you.

15. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    today at guitar center i heard someone tearing up a bass like nobody's buisness,so i peered around the corner and much to my surprise it was a 14 year old kid:eek: .this little dude was on fire (he put me to shame,and for only playing for a year or so i'm no slouch).now as far as a first bass you can also find an Ibanez bass package,it comes w/ gsr190(nice bass)amp,strap,picks,video AND A HOT 18 YEAR OLD CHICK:D .sorry about that i'm just kidding there's no video included;) .and while i was there i played a few Fender Squiers that were nicely made,i was surprised at how good they sounded and at only 169.00$. my opinion is that as long as you stick to a well known brand you will be able to find a decent bass,do some research and look around some,go to a few stores and see how they present them ,like if they are set-up and etc.and if possiblr bring along someone who knows a bit about basses/guitars. i still bring my bud's with me when i'm shopping around because they mite pick up something that i missed:cool: GOOD LUCK and welcome to ever challenging world of bass playing.

16. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would suggest that you go to a guitar store with one of your bassist friends, and have them help you out with choosing something.

17. Mike....the squier pack only gives me a Bass,Bag,Amp,Video,Strap and Cable for 300$.

I can get an Ibanez SW-20 Bass Guitar Amp,Essex 5 String Bass BG-205,Strap,Cable,and 10 picks for 230$...isn't this a better deal?

And sorry for my newbie-ness but what are chords and tuners for? Essential?

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Get the ibanez then, better deal.

And the tuner is so your bass is in tune, and you need the chord to plug into the amp and your tuner, so they are very essential.

19. Allright so I'll get the Ibanez Amp/Essex Bass deal from Rondo Music.

So I absolutely need a tuner huh?

20. For practicing alone, this is the only (FREE) tuner you will ever need.

AP Guitar Tuner

When gigging/rehearsing, I "borrow" our guitarists bass/guitar tuner. :)