1st Bass - Package?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TooLemaN, Dec 12, 2004.

1. TooLemaN

Dec 12, 2004
    Im new to the bass, and I know practically nothing about what products are good, so I need help picking out a bass and amp seeing as how I know little about each. I don't want to spend a fortune (this being my 1st bass), but I'd like something that will last. I was looking into buying a Squier Affinity Bass Package for $299, which my friend recommended. Would this be a wise investment, or should I pick out my own equipment? And if so what product(s) would be good? I'd like to have either a Fender or Squier bass. Thank you in advance!
  2. FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    Youre login is iriely close to my name/nickname my name is Liam Toole AKA Leemin.

As far as a bass package goes it might be a good idea for a you to get a package... if you stick with bass playing than you could get nicer gear later. you might also want to check out some used gear to save some money. A squire package wouldn't be a bad choice and i would recomend a jazz bass over a pbass but thats just my opinion. i bought a pbass when i first started playing then soon after i wished got a jazz.
  3. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    This question comes up every so often and the view tends to be that you should not get a package. The packages are just cheap stuff and the amp in them is usually true crap. Plus, if you move on to something after playing for a while, it's not likely that you'll get much $$ out of the stuff on resale.

Instead, get either an SX bass (www.rondomusic.net) or a used precision or jazz Fender. Practice amps can be gotten cheaply, either at pawn shops or new, for around $100 or so.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Check out Music123.com. They probably have the cheapest gear of any online music store that I've come across. That's where I bought my first bass, along with amp, cables, and strings. If I could recommend a good starter bass it would be an ESP F-104, though I don't believe they sell them anymore :-\. Very deep almost growly tone with a very nice punchy midrange. And by punchy I mean PUNCHY. Was quite impressed by it seeing as how I got ahold of it for only about $150.
  5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    There's nothing particularly wrong with the package you mentioned, but I also lean towards getting things separately, even if you end up with the same bass. You should listen to Fender and Squire Jazz and Precision basses, and listen for the the tone you're looking for. There is a definite difference between the two, and you should choose the one you like better.

Once you have the bass picked out, listen to a whole bunch of amps in your price range. Don't just listen to Fenders, give everything a chance. Play at a reasonable volume, one you intend to be playing at, if possible. You will hear differences in tone yourself, but don't be afraid to listen to your friends' comments as well, as a bass sounds different a distance away as opposed to right on top of the amp, where you'll be. Remember to get a reasonable quality cord and strap, then go home and start practicing your butt off.
  6. Others may disagree with me, but I actually like the package Epiphone makes that includes the EB-0 bass. The bass isn't very versatile, but it's playability is excellent, and it has a nice, thumpy tone. I would recommend purchasing an OLP MM2 bass and a seperate practice amp. This bass is great, especially for the price. Just remember that you dont need to buy a package.
  7. I'd recomend spending a little more money and getting some better equipment then is available in the starter packs. not so much in the bass...to sart out any bass will work as long as it is comfortable for you to play and you like it. but it really pays to get a nice amp to start with. I'd recomend one of the Yorkville combos.

Yorkville amps: http://www.gear1music.com/yorbasam.html

the SX basses are real nice for the price: http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html
  8. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    g&L tribute if u can put out more dough
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Or you could go for the 2 pack SX starter and just sell one off, SX ones are good and for $139 a pack (they just have to come in 2 pakcs?!) its a good deal...