1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st bass sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Nov 3, 2013.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    So I just got home from selling my first bass, I have to admit I'm a little sad to see her go. took it into gc and they offered me 115, wouldn't budge. took it into sam ash across the street, and they gave me 175 (plus a heck of a lot better and more friendly service) so I'm not too disappointed. I originally paid 250ish for it, and I definitely got some use out of it. However, I still can't help but feel like im gonna miss her. The bass was a schecter stiletto custom 4, and Ive always had a very love-hate, on again/off again relationship with it. It was a good bass (and absolutely gorgeous), just I don't think it was for me. felt good, just didn't feel right for me. Sounded good, just wasn't my sound.

So, what say you? any kind words? stories? witty banter?

2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    There's a reason (it) was your first and not your last.

Rob
    :bassist:

Edit: Planning for the days my daughters' hearts first get broken.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    did you just sell it outright, or did you trade it?

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    They made you a good deal. My brother just tried to trade a $1000 Ibanez in at GC and they offered him $85. But they told him he could keep the fitted case that wont work with any other guitar.

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I sold it off, needed some money quick.

AdamR, that is pretty sad, that the staff at GUITAR Center can't recognize a guitar worth that magnitude.

btw, sorry if I was unclear, this was not my first bass, just the first I've sold.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    you actually did VERY well at Sam Ash .. I am not familliar with the bass and did a quick search on Ebay .. some of that model only sold for slightly over what you received when you 'wholesaled' it ... they must have either had a buyer in mind, or were in need of used stock ...

7. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    Ya got off pretty good with that deal. You might miss it, but that won't last too long. It's not like you sold a 60's jazz bass or anything.

8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Yeah, I figured it was a pretty good deal. I got it off gc used site for $250 some years ago, so it was a pretty decent turnover in my book.

just looked on ebay... tjh is right, guess I made off pretty well. eh, ill get over it. its just sad to see that empty stand sitting there.

9. So, that means it is time for a new bass!
    Or get rid of the stand I guess :bag:

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    meh. I think im good with what I have. I'll just have to get to know them better now :)

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had good experiences with the local GC in many ways, but trading in used gear is not one of them. :scowl:

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    It does feel weird. When I decided to resell mine (MIM P), it went on a consignment basis at the same store. After their fee, I made a few dollars profit considering the lower original cost. A local radio DJ personality got it for occasional use on commercials.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    As others have said, you got a more than decent price for it from a store. That being said, I probably would have tried one thing first if you weren't in a rush to sell it, try to sell it first on Craigslist. You might have been able to get $200 or over for it(maybe even $250). Basically you'll be making the additional money Sam Ash would add in selling the bass.
    So if the bass is not really doing it for you, best to let go and use the money for other needs. Besides, you got good money for it so all is good.