1st big band gig today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ken Lloyd, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    This afternoon I played my first gig with a big band: 4 trumpets, 5 saxes, 3 bones, piano, drums, singer, and me on fretless.

We played two full sets and got paid for three.

This band has a great book, about 75 tunes all written out for all parts. Since most of my bass days have been playing by ear or chord symbols, reading every measure was a challenge, but there were enough places with chord symbols written over the notes that I could play in my natural style sometimes.

Still, it's great to be forced to read, even at these super fast tempos. After all these years, I'm going to be a good sight reader.

It was a fun gig. I think they're going to keep me.
  2. Congrats, Ken... sounds like you had a blast! :)
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sixteen-piece! Would I dig being able to do that someday.

(I'd better learn to READ, huh? -but for now I still have to learn scales, keys, modes, chords...) In your opinion, might it be an advantage for me to intimately learn my entire neck for major and minor keys and chords, and the ear-training for intervals and harmonies that will undoubtedly develop with it, before I learn to read? Is it better to learn to read concurrently with the other stuff?

I got serious in music later in life (forty-something), so I have to learn on my own.

4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrats!!! being thrown into the fire is the only way to go! :D

welcome to TB and thanks for your supporting membership! :)
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Start learning to read NOW! Learning is slow, and there's no substitute for the hours you spend working on it. No shortfcuts to it.