1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st Build final pictures

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jared Curtioff, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hey everyone.

I've been a long time talk bass reader, but never a poster...

I recently finished my first bass.

4 string, 34" scale.

walnut top and back, mahogany core. mahogany neck with a walnut stripe down the center.

enjoy.

IMG_0517.

IMG_0514.

IMG_0525.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9
    /jaredcurtioff/IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0522.

IMG_0518.

2. jdbernard

jdbernard

May 29, 2007
    Looks very nice! I like that headstock logo.

That bridge looks pretty sweet too! How does it sound?

:bassist:

3. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    Nice work! :hyper:

4. I've been real happy with the way it sounds.

I wired it with a switch so the pickuip can be either run in a series circuit or a parallell circuit.

one way is nice and crisp, the other is much more big and boomy.

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Sweet, that's a great first build!

6. Really nice. I would like to get some details on that bridge too. Looks great.

7. Here are some better shots of the bridge

IMG_0539-1.

IMG_0540.

IMG_0535.

8. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Nice bridge and really nice bass. Does the saddles are kept in its place just by the pressure of the strings?

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very well done, Congrats!

10. yes,

the saddles are held in with only string pressure.

I cut the slots so it would have a snug fit, so they would stay in place if I took off the string, but could be moved without too much trouble if I needed to.

11. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    wow. i am also working on my 1st bass. it is also walnut i found a peice that had great figuring. hope no one stole it (this is for a highscool project). i heard that only 1 percent of black walnut lumber has decent figuring. is this true? well hope my bass goes as good as yours. is your mm in the sweet spot? i was thinking of putting a mm in the sweet spot, and then putting in a neck position jazz, or p pickups right under the mm.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    WHOA. That is seeeexxy

13. a local friend of mine who does repair/ building gave me some sound advice on where to place pickups for the best sound.

"you should place your pickups under the harmonic"

so on this one the pickup is placed under the third octave harmonic.

I think this is where gibson placed theirs for there 70's EB series basses

14. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Jared,
    That thing looks killer!!!!! Great build. I have one being built for me that is a copy of Claypool's main 4 banger plus a couple of ideas that we had.
    I would love to hear some sound clips.
    peace,
    Chris

15. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    While that advice may sound reasonable and I'm sure it makes for a good-sounding instrument, saying that it should be there because it's where the harmonic lies doesn't make much sense -- because the harmonic moves as soon as you fret a note.

Now, it may be true that it just so happens that putting the pickup there works well -- it's just not because that's where an open-string harmonic lies.

Either way -- nice bass.

Asad

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Wow That's a work of art. Nice craftsmanship.

17. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Man what a nice bass you made! I have a question about it though, how did you ground your bridge? Or did you?
    I built a wooden bridge and had to use copper to ground its saddles. Did you take in process pictures?

Thanks and keep up the great work.
    Dirk

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Not only that, but putting it on an open string harmonic means that when playing that open string, that particular harmonic cannot be picked up - zero output - because the node is lying centered on the sensing area.

As asad said, it may be a good place to put the pup for various other reasons (most important - if it sounds good there!), but not because it's under an open string harmonic.

19. Sorry man.

no in process pics for this one. I was busy working and forgot about any in process stuff. I've been known to forget about pics in the past, it's apparantly a bad habit of mine.

as far as grounding the bridge goes.

here's what I came up with.

Initally my idea was to use a metal bridge, I drilled holes, ground hole, the whole shabang. when I did my mock up I realized that I placed it about a inch too short to intonate correctly. so I decided to move it back a bit, which of course reavealed the hole I drilled for the ground wire.

thus I had no other choice but to make the bridge out of wood.

ok, step foward to the bridge being done and in place, (mock up # 2)

I had nowhere to ground the bridge so I tried it without, and it worked fine, no ground, no buzz.

however, for all future projects with a wood bridge, I plan to ground the strings with whatever metal plate I will end up using to hold string ends in place

20. Fantastic work. Love the bridge.