1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st Build Progress. 5er

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RAHAZ, Mar 19, 2010.

1. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    After starting this bass 2 years ago it sat for about a year because I was afraid of what I had to do. Last night I took the plunge.

I built this neck-thru way too wide (2.25") but I went ahead and glued up the "wings" anyway (rookie mistake). To fix it I had to take a router to the seemingly finished bass to narrow things up. Now the nut is at 1.85" and tapers to the body and the body was squared up. I spent about 3.5 hours doing this as I was learning the new router and spindle sander. Time flies when you are "in the zone".:laugh2:

Here are the shots:

BEFORE:
    You could practically land an airplane here.
    100_7810.jpg

Carpet tape works wonders:
    IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4660.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4669.jpg

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nice! Love the rainbow of woods in the neck - it contrasts nicely with the relatively plain body. Lovely carving, too. Now that you've conquered your fear, you need to take this one to the finish line without further pause!

3. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks. The maple top has a lot of flame so that'll pop when I finish it. I'm thinking Nitro Cellulose Laquer. Yeah, I need to keep moving before it gets too hot to be in the garage. :D

4. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    very nice wood combo. can't wait to see this one finished up. should be nice.

5. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    FIRST build? Jesus dude, nice! :)

6. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks. Me Either. It's been 2 years since I started it... LOL

Yeah, I have a couple g****rs in the works too.:ninja:

7. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    I have had a fairly productive couple weekends and managed to apply the finish to my first build. This totally blew away my expectations for Tru-oil :naughty:

Still have a few things to complete before stringing it up: Re-cut the cavity covers, finish the pickup covers and wire it up. I've got a Bartolini preamp system that I have to rework a little bit based on component placement.

IMG_20101010_112036.jpg
    IMG_20101010_112047.jpg
    IMG_20101010_112238.jpg

I worked on the pickup covers last night. I still need to straighten out the rear cavity covers. I had my main compartment one cup on me.:mad:

IMG_6250.jpg
    IMG_6251.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6252.jpg
    IMG_6265.jpg
    IMG_6261.jpg
    IMG_6262.jpg

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Wow. That neck made me drool on the keyboard.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Niice!

10. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    First build? Go **** yourself.

Seriously though, awesome, awesome job. :p

11. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    :bassist:Thanks. :D

12. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Thank you, I have the other half of this blank waiting to become something... I have a couple guitars underway but I don't think this would fit with the design very well. :meh:

13. Nice work! Are the pickup routs completely square, or are my eyes playing tricks with me?

lowsound

14. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Sadly your eyes are correct, template moved a little on me.:scowl:

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020