1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1st build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by codyAllen191, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I started in late feb. but because my phone decided to not let me download pictures from it I had to go back and take some with my digital camera...that I just found. This is the first ground up build for me, and hopefully not the last. I've really enjoyed it so far and am already thinking about the next one. Which ideally will use better woods than what I bought from Lowes..

Body: Poplar
    neck: Oak/poplar
    scale: 36
    25 frets
    fretted
    ebony nut
    fingerboard: Cocobolo
    pickups: GFS MM
    2 volumes
    abalone dot inlays

2009dog097.

2009dog095.

2009dog096.

thanks for looking

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I am a bit confused about some of the stuff going on. Could you explain a bit. Looks cool.

3. sure thing, what do you wanna know?

edit: I have pics from days one, but theyre on my phone(and unfortunatly stuck there) so last night I went to take these while the dye and wipe on poly were drying.

4. OK, I'll ask.

Did you mount the jack on the back of the guitar, on the cover plate? Or is it just there for the photos?

Why did you put the pups next to each other? What is your source for that idea?

Neck thru, set neck, or bolt on?

Fretted or not?

It looks good, keep on going.

edg

5. doh!, yeah sorry I shouldve thought of those...

the jack is on the back, I didnt want it on the side and I preferred for it to not be on the front....initially i wasn't going to do this, but seeing some of Ritter's basses and his jack locations spurred me to try it for myself.

I put the pickups next to each other out of necessity, the bridge is pretty close to the rear of the bridge pickup, it ended up not being too bad i suppose...I kinda like it.

its fretted, and its a neck-through

thanks

6. time for an update

A slow dry time assisted by the heavy rains we've been getting in North Texas
    bass007.

pickup covers
    bass002.

7. the knobs and truss rod cover, both are ebony and cocobolo.....idk why the picture quality is so low....my camera usually does a better job.
    bass004.

8. Just finished up on Thursday. I think its respectable for my first build, the finish isn't perfect but next time I won't be using dye. I learned a lot and hope to keep improving.

FFA017.

FFA018.

9. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Just a wild guess, but you're a fan of Carl Thompson, no?;)

10. you would be correct, lol. I was a bigger fan in the past than I am now, but I still love his work.