1st day...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HappyMikey, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Man I never know if I'm posting in the right forum...if not I'd appreciate a mod moving this...;)

Well I got my first bass yesterday and this is what I learned on my first day: Reading a tab,playing from a tab,placing my fingers,and the first 10 notes from Jason Newsted's My Friend of Misery solo.

I think I'm kinda learning slow,what do you think?
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    As soon as possible, you should probably get a bass teacher if you can afford one.

read this lesson by our very own jazzbo:

i'd also reccommend reading the reincarnation of libster which i can't seem to find the link for... Gabu? you out there?

Tabs are great to read if you are beginning, but they are kind of like training wheels, the sooner you can ride a two-wheeler (standard notation/transcribing yourself) the better.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    definitely want to get a good teacher. Help get you started in the right direction.
  4. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Congrats on taking up the bass. I remember the excitement of the day I first started playing. :)

I will echo the advice to get a teacher if it is possible. And also about using tablature. In the long run, IMO, it will just lead to a dead-end in the sense that there is only so much you can learn from it. Ear-training and sight-reading will lead you on a much better, and more accomplished path.

As for starting slow...there's no hurry. :) Whatever it is you're learning, you want to be slow with it to make sure you understand what you are doing. As a beginner, you want to become familiar with the bass, the parts of the bass, the fretboard, finger postioning, etc. Some of it may seem boring at times, but it's important to know the basics.

Good luck and have fun! :)
  5. yeah man, when we talk on msn you seem a little rushed, like its a good thing that your excited about bass, but dont miss things, every step is important, and make sure you finish one before moving on to another, and if possible in any way.....get a teacher, no matter what, unless its impossible.
  6. We all learn at our own pace...some faster then others,but whatever...

have fun and own that tab:)

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    ***, you got your first bass and your a supporting member already!?
    I have been here for 2 years and i'm not!
    Soon I will be though...
    That's pretty good man...
    I think lessons would help you move ahead faster, but then there is the expense.
    But look at some self taught bassists:
    Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
    Les Claypool
    Me!! (lolz)
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Two years? November 2002 to June 2003... by what twisted stretch of the imagination is that 2 years? :D
  9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I was on a different name man, lolz. **&% I don't even remember it...