1st five string help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eno50, Aug 5, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello, I have the G.A.S for a five string and there are two that are local that i'am looking at.
    One is a MIM fender deluxe Jazz /active electronics and hard case for $500.00 and the other is a Peavey Cirrus neckthru 5 with case for $800.00.
    I have allways been fond of fender because that's all i have ever played. I now play a jazz as my main bass and a p-bass is 2nd,but I would like to try a 5.
    What is your thought on these two basses are they two different animals?
    Does the neck thru make a big difference and the 35" scale or should I just stay with the fender since That is what I'am used to,just a little fatter neck and an extra string.
    They both play good and sound good,and I think I can tell that there is a little more reach at the lower frets(at the nut end),I say i think because I did not know the peavey was a 35" scale untill someone pointed it out to me.
    Has anyone had one of these and can tell the pro's and con's
    Thanks Eno

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    get the 35" scale it makes the Bless "floppy" by raising the tention.
    I never liked the fender five strings the string spacing is too wide and the neck is too fat but that's my opinion.

get a used warwick thumb and call it a day.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    IMO the neck through doesn't make a difference at all (given all the other components that make a bass sound as it does), and the 35" definitely DOES make a difference. The only consistent difference however is feel. The strings are more taught, and being used to 34" scale I don't particuarly like it. I just sold a Peavey Millennium because of that. If I played it enough I'm sure I'd get used to it, and some people prefer tighter strings (that piano like thing), but I like to have a bit more play for bending and stuff. The B string is generally less floppy on a 35", but there are plenty of 34" basses that have equally distinct sounding Bs. There's more than just the scale length that goes into a good B, but I don't know what other stuff is. :) It's been discussed here though so if you're interested have fun searching it out. "B" won't register in a search.

Anyhow - if you're this unclear and undecided I'd hold off a bit longer before making a purchase. Try to get your hands on as many basses as you can before making a decision. My made MIM Fender doesn't compare to any of my other basses. A Musicman, Warwick and/or lots of others would be my choice. I'd also go Peavey before Fender. I really liked every Peavey I ever owned - lest the 35" scale thing.

Ya might want to check this out too...
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sterling-by-Music-Man-RAY35-5String-Bass?sku=580996

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    If you're looking at 35", check out a Lakland Skyline 5501 -- somewhere between the two prices you state above. The Lakland will give you a Fender-like sound and the neck is very comfortable. If you like the Jazz Bass neck, the Lakland will feel big, but you can become used to it quickly because its profile is great. I personally find the spacing on a Jazz five-string too tight, but the Lakland is just fine.

5. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    5 strings + 35" scale = :)

6. Here’s my experience. I’ll start by pointing out I have one main bass, an old re-issue jazz bass. I also own a 4003, but only play it from time to time.

Then I picked up a Cirrus BXP 5 because it was on closeout for 200 bucks…..wasn’t bass shopping, didn’t really “want” a 5, but for that price…….why not have a crack at it?

While there is clearly a need to adjust to the additional string, I have found the tight string spacing, and even the longer scale length, to be a bit harder to adjust to. Not impossible to overcome, but it is an adjustment. The differences trip me up sometimes.

FWIW, these are things I hadn’t really considered when I bought it, again, 200 bucks….

I have since played a couple of Fender 5s in stores, and found them easier to deal with. Why? Because, with the exception of the 5th string, everything else seems to be where my hands & fingers want them to be. In other words, the only adjustment I need to make is for the additional string, the wider Fender (as compared to the Cirrus) neck goes almost unnoticed to me.

So, that’s my experience, might not be yours. I am particularly fussy about “fit”, if you will. The Cirrus is fun, it’s well made, sounds good and plays well, and it’s stupid light.

That said, if I really was going to commit to “learning” to play a 5 string, I’d get a Fender. Right now the 5 is kinda like my Ric – a fun distraction, something I do to change things up from time to time.

7. Well in keeping with the OP question, I suggest the Fender. I played a friend's at a gig once and loved it, I believe strung with Fender 8250's. Best of luck!

8. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Here are my 5 string experiences:

34" vs. 35" doees not make as much of a difference as quality of construction and strings
    Strings are important
    Quality of construction is a bigger factor than on 4s
    BO vs NT makes no difference (other than price) that I can tell
    ^ same thing with through bridge/through body stringing
    When I started on 5s, I prefered narrow spacing but as time has progressed I prefer wider (19mm) spacing.
    Buy used -- you get more for your money and if you don't like it you can usually sell it for what you paid

9. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Is the Peavey Cirrus USA or a BXP (Asian made)?

10. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    U.S.A made

11. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Okay, just my opinion, one in a sea of opinions:

I've owned Fender Jazz 5s and Peavey Cirrus 5 basses (both the BXP and the USA).

I dumped the Fender and the BXP and kept my Cirrus USA.

The neck through does have advantages IMHO. Neck through generally means a tad more sustain. I noticed it.

I think the onboard electronics were better in the Cirrus 5.

And if you're looking at one for $800.00 with a hardshell case, that's a great deal. I paid $900.00 for mine.

I can get almost any tone I want. I love how it sounds when I brighten it up for slap n pop, and I can dial lots of other tones in as well.

Don't be fooled by the "Peavey re-sale curse." These things are for real.

IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

12. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    Buy the one you feel most comfortable playing - Peaveys are nice instruments, but a Fender is hard to go wrong terribly wrong on. 3 Suggestions for switching to 5 string - shorten your strap a little so the bass is up just a tad higher than on your 4 stringer, and keep the left elbow up/out from your body; otherwise, you will have some major hand pain due to the extra stretching around the wider neck. Use the 4 strings you are used to but use the 5 string initially to drop an octave from fretted notes at 3/4/5/6/7 on your "A" - it will help solidify in your mind the notes that are there on your new, "low-down" friend. Use #5 sparingly - the occassional forays into the basements are much more exciting than living in the basement.LOL

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First I will offer an opinion that is not included in your question. Scrap them both and look on your local CraigsList AND on the TB classfieds. There are MUCH better deals than BOTH of those out there right now. (Heck, you will probably find BOTH of those basses for a lot less money.)
    Now back to your question. I have owned both of those basses (only the Fender was a USA Deluxe). Tone wise, the Fender wins for me hands down. The Cirrus does the bright thing VERY well, but making it sound warm and fat took a LOT of tweeking on both the bass AND my amp. Good luck with your hunt!

14. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Good thread with some good transition advice. I am moving up to a 5 string myself and specifically moving to a Fender Jazz 5. The string spacing was wider than the Ibanez(s) I checked and, though the neck was wider, seemed to be a better fit for me. I prefered the overall feel and tone of the fender. I didn't try the For the string tension I'm looking to replace the strings to avoid any issues (no so far). I agree with the previous comment on the quality and type of string making more of a difference. I haven't tried the Cirrus, but hear good things.

15. cakebass

cakebass

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm also in the same boat, although I'm looking to plop some SERIOUS cash on a 5, as in "I'll pass this on to my daughter in my will" kind of bass purchase. I looked at the top enders from the OP's listed basses, as well as Lakland, Modulus, and Warwick (I have four string experience on all the aforementioned, minus Lakland). That said, the grail for me is a 'Wick Stage II, although I've never seen one in person. What's keeping me up at nights is string spacing, as I have smaller hands but LIKE a wider, flatter neck with ample spacing. My current 4 is an ATK that has the most comfortable neck I've played in all my 16 years of playing. Not meaning to 'jack somewhat, but regardless of scale, out of the listed companies/basses, which has the widest spacing?

16. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Count me in!

I am a Fender guy, and I found a nice MIM Jazz V, and purchased it on eBay. While waiting, I found a beautiful Ibby BTB455 on my local Craigslist, so I bought it on impulse. I'd heard that 35" scale is superior for 5ers, the Ibanez is active, and at $300 - I didn't have the strength to walk away. I justified it to myself by saying that I'd play both for a few weeks, and sell one.

Well, a month later, I'm keeping the Ibby, and the Jazz V is on eBay. I was surprised by the quality feel of the Ibanez, and a little underwhelmed by the Fender's B string. I even spent some money on a pro set-up, just to make sure it wasn't an adjustment. Not that it was a bad bass, just not as nice as the BTB.

Bottom line - if you can swing it, it's always better if you can spend more than a few minutes with a bass (and your own rig) before settling on it. Now that I've done it this way, the next time I buy a bass, I'll buy my top two or three choices, then keep the best of the bunch.

17. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    If you have $800 to spend belive me you can get some real nice deals right here at TB and get some nicer basses. I had the Fender and ready like the overall tone and the Peavey was nicer on the B string but sold that because it started to come apart.

18. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Whatever you decide to buy, and please have fun doing so, remember to fight the urge to overplay on the new, lower notes at your disposal:) I can tell a new five string player by how much he fiddles around down there...;)

On topic: the Stingray 5 is my favorite.

19. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Whatever you decide to buy, and please have fun doing so, remember to fight the urge to overplay on the new, lower notes at your disposal:) I can tell a new five string player by how much he fiddles around down there...;)

On topic: the Stingray 5 is my favorite.

just saw this... Well put, there!

20. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    This is supposed to be better than expected
    [​IMG]
    Sterling by MM Ray35

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021