1st fret buzz on A string only

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcburn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hello everyone. Have a new bass that has noticeable buzz playing an open A. I am quite sure it is the first fret. Could this be adjusted out with the truss rod or could the nut slot be slightly too deep? If so is there a quick fix. All the other strings are ok. Can I take the nut out and stick something underneath like a very thin piece of plastic (the nut is plastic I think)with superglue? I dont think this would have an adverse effect on the other stirngs and wouls seriously only have to be .5 mm or so. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    A low slot in the nut is most likely on a newer bass.

The best easy fix for a nut slot too low is to build it up with a hardening glue like epoxy or superglue.

Gel superglue is the easiest to use. Just remove the string, place in drop in the string slot and allow it to dry for longer than you think you should. Add another drop as needed until the problem is solved. Be conservative with the glue. Too much and you have a mess.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I would try raising the saddle height on the A string before doing anything to the nut.

4. An easy way to test if the nut is too low is to press down between the 2nd and 3rd fret, and see if the string touches the first fret. If it does, than it is most likely too low. An easy way to test this is just to get a piece of paper, cut out a small strip and put that in the nut under the string. Continue doing this slowly to raise it up, and if after it is raised a very small amount it is fixed, than you know you can solve it by adding a small amount of material to the nut. If it sounds good, you could even leave the paper strips in there, although my guess is that it wouldn't sound as good.

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    +1. Have just done this on 2 of my basses with Super Glue Gel. I slightly overfilled and then lightly sanded back with a small piece of light grade abrasive paper rolled over to approximate string width, great results.

6. Thanks to all.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021